OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ok, either I have the worst shooting 870 ever or.

Started by savduck, March 04, 2012, 04:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipper

I really believe in shooting a lot through a choke to sort of break it in, I don' have any proof that it works but it seems like it has helped my IC for my SX3 and the SSX to get more consistent, and I really clean the internals of the chokes, You will be surprised at how much gunk will come out of a wad stripping choke after 5 or 6 shots.

savduck

Quote from: redarrow on March 04, 2012, 07:34:44 PM
IC 555 at 40, 168 in 10, 317 on paper.

I would be hard pressed to find anything wrong with that.

Heck I love that. Thats only 1 shot though. The other IC shot went down to 119. Guys say they are averaging 160s to 170s with that choke. Average is several shots. Thats the choke Im gonna roll with. Im gonna shoot it a few more times to see what the true average may be.
Georgia Boy

TrkyHntr

Keep a check on gunbroker and ebay for a hastings. If I find one I'll give you a heads up.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

savduck

Georgia Boy

Devastator

my numbers got better with a dirtier barrel,maybe a flc wad does not like clean barrels.i know ive read some that do not.very even patterns on most of the shots.hope ya get what ya want.did ya try anything different from sumtoy?amazeing what different chokes do in different guns.i had a smith and wesson that was puting up 185 average with a ballistics 554 before it broke.put the same choke in my benelli nova and it was horrible.

savduck

spoke with William today. our shoot got cancelled due to the weather this weekend. Im gonna make it up there and we are gonna tinker a little.
Georgia Boy

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: TrkyHntr on March 04, 2012, 07:08:20 PM
My gun didn't like the ssx or the rsf. Neither did it like a puregold or jellyhead. the best hevi patterns I got was from a truglo gsx .565. My best choke for the fed hw #7's is a hastings .562.

Shane

I put 95 H13 6's in the 10 yesterday at a taped 40 with the GSX and my 870. Shot three shots, had 95, 98, and 99. I will hunt it.

surehuntsalot

I get pretty good patterns out of my .565 Truglo GSX using the Federal HW #6's have not tried #7's and any of the Federal lead FC shells do good through it also,been a great choke for 15.00
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

redleg06

Maybe a question you've already addressed but what was the weather like?  Temperature can make a difference and so can wind at 40 yards.

That IC pattern is not too shabby at all.

savduck

Weather was 63. Windy, but I was waiting for the gust to stop before shooting. I was in some sheltered planted pines.

I plan to shoot the IC with the Feds and shoot the Hevi's with the tru glo.
Georgia Boy

jtharpe

[/quote]

What lot number are your Midway shells just out of curiosity. Im ok with the 150 for the hevi in the tru glo. That a nice pattern. We shot the truglo in a Charles Daly today as well and it did about the same at 40.
[/quote]

37VT455 is the lot number

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I've been apart of a lot of 20 ga patterning the past 2 weeks.

The best I've seen a federal hw 7 do was 129 in the 10 at 40 with an RSF and a 28"

The best I've seen with hevi13 7s was 159 with a pg tempest and 157 with an RSF.

I saw 4x5x7 nitros go 170 in the 10" at 40 with a pg tempest, as well.

170 is an incredibly high number and ive been wondering about some of the claims on here myself...

savduck

It is tapered and choked by constricting the shot.....no wad catchers or ports etc.

I own a 12 ga 665 and 700 terror choke that i use for ducks hunting. They shot the FC wads with the Black clouds unbelievable. I sometimes pick up ducks with golf ball size chunks missing out of them from the 30 to 40 yard range.

I also shot turkey loads through the 665. It patterned the best behind my IC and Kicks.

They make a 575 for a  20 ga. I know there are some getting great patterns with the more open 570 chokes. The guy at terror told me the 575 is very tight and likes the FC wad. I may get one, but right now 90.00 bucks on a choke to get 20 pellets more in a target is probably better spent on two tanks of gas to get me in the woods.
Georgia Boy

chipper

Savduck, Dickson Sportsmen Store in Dickson,TN. Has 6 or 7 boxes of the Lot# I shot if your interested they may ship, I bought 3 boxes this afternoon, they are 18.99 a box though.

DUPREE

all of my federals are a few years old. In my charles daly the last few times I have counted pellets thy were always in the 170's. I use a "lead only" remington super full. If you want to shoot one of my shells and my choke let me know. Im in hinesville if you wanna hook up.