OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tried to pattern my 535 today...

Started by turkeywhisperer, March 03, 2012, 03:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeywhisperer

And it wasn't good.  Poi vs Poa is about a foot high.  Any suggestions?  The only solution I see is adding a scope or a red dot.  What about the truglo gobbledots?  Opinions?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: turkeywhisperer on March 03, 2012, 03:46:07 PM
And it wasn't good.  Poi vs Poa is about a foot high.  Any suggestions?  The only solution I see is adding a scope or a red dot.  What about the truglo gobbledots?  Opinions?

A foot high would be way out of specifications. That might stretch your sights to the limit, or beyond.

If this is a new gun or still under warranty, I'd recommend that you contact Mossberg.

If it's not, it might be possible to get a better relationship (POA/POI)  by switching shells or chokes. That might get you closer and allow a sight to get you where you need to be.

What brand, type of shells and choke are you shooting currently?

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

strut-n-rut

i have a truglo red dot on my 535 and i got it shooting really good

turkeywhisperer

I noticed it when I was using the dove loads to get it close.  I have 2 chokes, the factory xfull Turkey choke and a hevi shot aftermarket.  After noticing it with the dove loads I also shot win hi velocity 3-5-1.75 and 3 magblends through it with no change in poi with either choke or different ammo.

turkeywhisperer

I guess that I should have included that these are the factory sights and sort of cheap... not the best in the world.

antnye

My cousin has the same problem with his 535. About a foot high.

turkeywhisperer

Quote from: antnye on March 03, 2012, 06:35:24 PM
My cousin has the same problem with his 535. About a foot high.

How did he fix the problem?

chipper

I'd contact Mossberg and ship it to them, They'll straighen out for you and make sure your happy.

MossbergMike

you forgot to call me! lol I think you might just have to send it back or get a red dot for it. And did I read that right you shot 3.5 out of that thug? ouch!

yelpy

I bought a 535 and took the factory junk sights off and put on the Williams fire sights. I had some trouble with it shooting high also but not that high. The fire sights when hunting out of a blind with my 10 year old nephew I noticed that they are hard to see until you have really good light because of the darkness of the blind. They do work well otherwise.

goblr77

My current 835 is in the same boat. I scoped it with a Simmons Prodiamond 4x and Gamereaper mount. Couldn't be happier now. The 535 is a different animal IMO. It kicks like a mule with 3.5" loads and might give you scope eye. I would probably run a Burris FFII on it.

turkeywhisperer

Quote from: MossbergMike on March 03, 2012, 08:55:32 PM
you forgot to call me! lol I think you might just have to send it back or get a red dot for it. And did I read that right you shot 3.5 out of that thug? ouch!

No.. I think i put that info in wrong.  I think I should have put it as 3-1.75-5 winchester High Velocity.  I been turkey hunting a long time but new to the forum thing. lol..   No way I am shooting 3.5s in that thing.. I like my nose and cheekbones right where they are.  The 3" magblends kicked plenty hard enough.   :z-dizzy:

mightyjoeyoung

This is gonna sound off the wall, but is your barrel TIGHT?  Sometimes the metal parts just need to be SNUG and you'd be suprised how your poa/poi issues can just go away.  I had a 500 years back that if I didn't keep the barrel retention nut as tight as I could get her by hand and then give her one more click with a set of padded-jaw channel locks, she would shoot about a foot high.  As the nut got tighter, the pattern lowered untill it was nicely centered above the front bead.  Just a though, but I keep ALL of my turkey gun barrel nuts that tight. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

turkeywhisperer

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 04, 2012, 09:48:08 AM
This is gonna sound off the wall, but is your barrel TIGHT?  Sometimes the metal parts just need to be SNUG and you'd be suprised how your poa/poi issues can just go away.  I had a 500 years back that if I didn't keep the barrel retention nut as tight as I could get her by hand and then give her one more click with a set of padded-jaw channel locks, she would shoot about a foot high.  As the nut got tighter, the pattern lowered untill it was nicely centered above the front bead.  Just a though, but I keep ALL of my turkey gun barrel nuts that tight.

I did take it apart and clean it.. I will give it a try..

Crobinson

I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a Muller quick shot & Indian creek choke. Heading out now to see if I can get it on paper.

I swore the last time shooting it that would be the last. This thing will kick the snot out of you and mine has the thumb hole stock.