OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strikers

Started by BERN, March 02, 2012, 09:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BERN

What do you guys think is more important when making a striker? Is it the type of wood or the weight of the finished piece?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

WillowRidgeCalls

The weight means everything in a striker, for ease of play.  The wood gives you different tones and sounds.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Cut*N*Run

Both. Like asking what's more important in a steak, the cut of meat or the way it's cooked.

BERN

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on March 03, 2012, 11:25:55 AM
Both. Like asking what's more important in a steak, the cut of meat or the way it's cooked.

Excellent analogy. Appreciate that...

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: BERN on March 03, 2012, 04:54:09 PM

Yeah, I hoped it didn't sound like I was blowing off your question, but I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. If you don't have the right weight balance, the striker won't play right. On the other hand, some woods just play different. You'll never get the rasp out of curly maple that you will out of purpleheart, for example.

lightsoutcalls

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BERN

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on March 04, 2012, 01:44:05 PM
Quote from: BERN on March 03, 2012, 04:54:09 PM

Yeah, I hoped it didn't sound like I was blowing off your question, but I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. If you don't have the right weight balance, the striker won't play right. On the other hand, some woods just play different. You'll never get the rasp out of curly maple that you will out of purpleheart, for example.

Not at all. I had kind of figured that out to some extent, hence the question. Interesting that you mentioned curly maple and purple heart because those are the exact two I am comparing. I got out the kitchen scale and weighed them as well as some commercial ones that I like. The purple heart one is much heavier than the others. I think i'll drill it out to lighten it closer to the others.

CallMaker

I totally agree with Cut*N*Run .... different woods sound different.  I have some strikers that are lightweight and have a good clear tone and high pitch.  I have others that are heavier and have some rasp.  As long as they are balanced  and you can run the call with them and they sound good then use them.
Steven