OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Eastern Kentucky

Started by mrclif, February 29, 2012, 08:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLTurkey

I grew up in Eastern Kentucky and can say the turkey hunting is good.  This past Thanksgiving I saw large groups of up to 50 birds in fields along US 64 from Lex to Ashalnd.  Right around the Morehead exit in the National Forest is where I saw the most birds.  I used to hunt some around Cave Run Lake area and loved it.  Good Luck and get in shape for walking up those hills. 

FLTurkey

mason0366

I dont know hkw the birds are. but they are some steep hills over their.

MouthCaller

mrclif, I live 30 minutes from the KY state line and just as I thought with all this really warm weather the trees have bloomed and most have little leaf buds on them here. Usually up in KY you get a week or two of leafless trees to hunt but with KY's season being over 3 weeks away still Im gonna say that everything up here will be just about fully leafed. Things might be a tad tough if a bird cant see your set-up and is wary of calls.

Bigmiah22

there are always bird to kill, i say get over there

Kylongspur88

It will be green but it should be a good season. I would say KY is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule as far as green up goes. This happened a few years ago and we had a big freeze the first weekend of the season and it totally destroyed the mast crop because all the oaks had flowered. It was hardest on the squirrel population. It will be fine by me if I get to wear short sleeves on opening day.

nogoodreezen

Trees are all budded but not a lot of leaves yet. I would say in three weeks it will be pretty green around here though. I live about 70 miles from Manchester. You should have plenty of birds. That's in the foothills of Appalachia. Not truly what you think of as eastern ky. Should be great.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk