OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Eastern Kentucky

Started by mrclif, February 29, 2012, 08:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrclif

I got a offfer from a guy to come up and hunt 1300 acres of private land that joins Daniel Boone national forest. Is the turkey and deer huntn pretty good? I live in Alabama, but always looking for place to chase sum turkeys and big bucks. Ya think it would be worth a few hundred $$ for tags and fuel to check out.
I just havent heard much about eastern kentuck like I have about western kentuck.
Thanks ahead......

mason0366

MouthCaller

Yes please list the county and closest city. I used to live in Bell co in Middlesboro and I also work for Dish Network and Ive been all over southeast KY.

joey46

From my bio etc you wouldn't know it but I've hunted a lot in the DBNF (not recently).  The areas around Rowan County do have birds.  1300 ac of private land should be a slam dunk.  Go on the KY Fish & Wildlife web site and check the telecheck numbers for the last few years.  KYFW's web site and it's telecheck is the best thing going.  You will be able to see how many birds have been taken in the county in which you have been invited to hunt.   After you learn the system you will even be able to see how many birds a specific hunter has checked in.  Works for deer also.  I'll be glad to help you out with the telecheck if needed.  It helps keep my old KY buddies honest ;D

Ctomp1974

X2 on the telecheck. If the numbers are decent, you can swing by and grab me! LOL!

Good Luck

Doubletap

We do need to know the county, but regardless, there are turkeys there

mrclif

Manchester is the town, I think that is Clay county?

Ctomp1974

Clay County Looks pretty Good!!
http://fw.ky.gov/harvest/turkeyharvest.asp

I hunt Carroll, Henry and Oldham for a comparison. You should definitely take him up on that!

Clint

MouthCaller

There should be plenty of birds up there in Manchester, Ive been really close to that town a few times working around the hal rogers parkway. Tip: I learned hunting birds on the big ridges and mountains in that part of the world is to try your best to get above the bird, its hard to call them downhill.

WNY Bowhunter

I'm also heading to KY for opening week.  I'll be hunting the federal land around Cave Run Lake.  A couple of buddies of mine went there last spring and were covered up in birds.  How will the foliage be at this time?  Our full "green-up" here in NY doesn't occur until mid-May.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

mrclif

Thanks guys, we got a few hills around here but I think their alittle bigger over yunder.
Think I'm going to take him up on it. He's a non hunter but said his place is eat up with them. He said 800 acres of it joins DBNF, between that and 700,000 plus acres of national forest maybe I could make it worth wild.

Doubletap

If you come in from London on the Parkway, Manchester is Exit 20, there is a field on the right at the 19 mile marker that had 9 longbeards in it on monday, not that I would know or anything :TooFunny:

mrclif

Looks like I can get about four weeks of huntn here to get my calls tuned in before it even opens up there.

Kylongspur88

Good population of birds in Eastern Kentucky, deer... in some areas its ok at best. Wear comfortable boots and take lots of water the hills are steep in some places. It may green up early if we have many more 70 degree days. If your buddies land has any reclaim strip mines on it that is where you will find the birds mid morning through afternoon.

MouthCaller

to answer the foiliage question usually the trees are just starting to bud and everything is still pretty bare BUT this really mild and crazy winter could cause things to be different this year.