turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87 SM Finding a choke before my wife chokes me

Started by GeorgeJR, February 28, 2012, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeJR

I have a new Remington 1187 Super Mag so I have the option of going to a 3.5 shell if needing extra payload (Well was a Xmas present from my folks).  Previously I have used a Browning Gold 3.5 for my first bird with Win Supreme 5's 3.5" and the next 3 using Rem 870 Express of my brothers using Winchester Supreme 5's in 3".  I prefer to stay with lead, granted I do only use 1 shell per bird and have knocked down birds at 20 yrds thru 47 yrds w/o a problem with a 3 in shell.  Dead was dead.  Trying to keep cost down while still harvesting the food source.

I would LOVE to try all the chokes with a few boxes of shells and then purchase the one that preformed the best, however I don't know where one can find such an stock pile of chokes to try/buy.  I have a friend with a Remington Super Full who hunts on our land and will let me try his choke, I have a older Undertaker to try as well that was on the 870, was leaning towards a Jelly Head, but not sure with lead #5 if 665 or 660 would normally provide a better pattern if that is the best choke to gamble on.  What ever I purchase will need to be used for the first year so as my hunting budget is minimal.

Do any of you know of shooting clubs that offer chokes to try?  Other methods of finding the right choke without paying retail for each.  I could pick up a couple $20 chokes  but not sure that is wise either.... 

For those using lead...  What have you found to work best in your similar gun (870 SM or 1187 SM)...  In the next few weeks I plan on trying out what I have access to and check out the patterns...  If still not seeing what I want what would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Steve in Wisconsin