OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone Ever Tried Slate From Rockmart, GA?

Started by Turkey Trot, February 27, 2012, 05:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Trot

There is a slate quarry in NW GA near the Silver Comet Trail.  People have mined slate in that area for a long time, and the deposit is something of a geological mystery.  One can read more about that on the website.  Waddle Whacker is probably the closest maker I've seen on here to that slate.

Has anyone ever tried to use it in calls?  Does it appear to be the proper slate?

http://www.slatescape.com/
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

WaddleWhacker

i can be in Rockmart in 20 minutes and i have lived here my whole life....never heard of a slate quarry in Rockmart...but i'm not saying its not there...

Turkey Trot

It is definitely there.  Slate mining is how Rockmart got its name, and the limestone and cement manufacturing followed.  I don't know that they are extracting it in a way that lends itself to using it for pot calls since they are not selling for architectural purposes (rooves, flooring, etc.).  If one got some of it, it would likely take work to get it to the desired thickness and plane.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Gobblerstopper

I remember some colored slate that was around about 10 years ago. Don't know if it is the same supplier or not.  The calls I have from it are pretty think. Probably around 1/8" and the sound isn't great.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: Gobblerstopper on February 27, 2012, 06:09:39 PM
I remember some colored slate that was around about 10 years ago. Don't know if it is the same supplier or not.  The calls I have from it are pretty think. Probably around 1/8" and the sound isn't great.

Non-sequitur.  That quarry does not cut slate and have not marketed it for calls.