OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 ad in Cabelas

Started by jfair, February 26, 2012, 07:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevetts

lol, i think i got it al, turkey over 40yrds = wounded, slow death by coyotes! im glad to see when someone ask a very honest question in this economy, how will "hd load x" help me at 50yrds since they are most of the time 40+ dollars a box there question gets shut down. that is a joke... now whats a stupid post is when i read a review on any choke tube and shell theres someone sayin 'i killed a 24ld 17"bearded rio running stone dead at 120yards get this choke or shell!' thats were the problem lies! and to your b.s. quote i live 15mi from the NITRO man- why dont ya ask him how many turkeys are wounded at 50 with his loads, id bet he'll say all of them!lol wish i could eat as much turkey as the coyotes! there are things that get out of controll, i understand, but why do people who can barely afford to live spend 40+ dollars a box on shells? So that if the only chance they may get a year to kill a turkey in this spring, they can be much more confident when he hangs up at 50 yards in the field, there bringin him home! you can only make one so dead i dont care how far that is!

bird

That's why we call it hunting and not shooting.

The promotion of long shots has become a problem industry wide problem and we here at OG are going to take the lead by not allowing the long shot to be promoted on this site. What you do in your private life is your business but if it involves questionable/long shots then we don't and won't hear of it here on OG. We want our members to promote responsible hunting.

tha bugman

+1 :icon_thumright:
Quote from: bird on February 27, 2012, 10:28:23 AM
BS..... Just because a shell or a gun "may" be capable of a longer than 40 shot DOES NOT mean that the hunter is capable of that shot. I don't care who you are, there is not one person that can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that they can guarantee that the bird won't twist, turn, duck his head or even step forward or backwards or sideways between the time you squeeze that trigger and the time it takes that shot to travel to the bird. Its a whole differnt ballgame when shooting at a piece of stationary paper and one of Gods greatest creature who deserves the dignity of a clean fast kill. The further the distance the higher the chances that you are going to miss that bird partially and end up wounding him most likely resulting in a bird that escapes to die a slow death without recovery. This the reason why long shots are no longer acceptable on this site as "we" here at OG are going to do the "responsible" thing in educating the newbie and some seasoned folks in th reality of long shot mentality.  If a person wants to hunt turkeys with a long shots then they need to travel to a state that allows hunting with a rifle. Shotguns are not rifles and their shots don't travel at the speed of a rifle shell to allow for a long shot.

So again .... OG and it's members are going to be responsible hunters and take the lead in the hunting community by discouraging long shots while turkey hunting. There's a reason why we also have a calls and calling section too on this site. Turkey hunting is more than turkey shooting!

Al

jfair

Quote from: sevetts on February 27, 2012, 12:57:29 PM
lol, i think i got it al, turkey over 40yrds = wounded, slow death by coyotes! im glad to see when someone ask a very honest question in this economy, how will "hd load x" help me at 50yrds since they are most of the time 40+ dollars a box there question gets shut down. that is a joke...

Sorry but I don't see that ad extending the range to 50 yards.  It looks as if they are promoting 75+ yard shots.  There is a big difference in those yardages.   50 yards is to far for me even though I would be 90% confident in the shot.  The one in ten that gets away would kill me.  What is the percentage that would get away (wounded) at 60, 70, 80 yards.  Very high in my opinion.  The ad shows this as an acceptable range.  That is the "joke".  Not funny.

Woodsman4God

The Key to this arguement is not in the can it or will it is in the mass of average shooters out there who dont practice enough to get the job done right, as in all things only 20% of the people do the actual hard work it takes to do the job right and 80% of them are lazy and just try to skate buy on just enough. The add lends believability that taking shots at 75 yrds is no problem with this ammo and for the 80% that dont thoroughly do the job right this is gonna lead to alot of wounded animals, doesnt mean the load was bad just the hunter, its like the arguement that ran through here about the 98 yard crossbow shot, just because the Crossbow can make that shot doesnt mean the average joe who shoots his crossbow 2 or 3 times before hunting season should ever thyink of trying but once he sees it will say well his xbow did it then so can mine.

There are guys on here handloading TSS that can and do shoot beyond 50 yards but dont promote it, they have exppanded their range through hard work which will not get done by the average Joe

Just my .02