turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 13 ad in Cabelas

Started by jfair, February 26, 2012, 07:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfair

Anyone else upset with the picture beneath Hevi's ad in Cabelas.  Shows #5 shot heading toward a turkey at 75+ yards.  The pattern appears to encompass a 10" circle.  Ugh!!!!

bird

That what you can expect when all you hear any more is how many pellets you can put into a 10" circle from the furtherist distance possible. It's immaterial if what they are advertising is true or not cuz all they are doing is saying what everyone wants to hear.

Irresponsible advertising? Yes

jfair

My thoughts too bird.  I know most guys on this site are more ethical than that and will blow right by that picture without merit.  What about the masses?  Poor choice of advertising in my opinion.  They even have some good hunters convinced from some discussions I've heard.

WFI79

Got to agree, bad advertising.... Anyone that's hunted much should understand the capability of there  weapons and there own abilities. Problem is that newcomers, limit pushers or people that simply don't have the experience yet, see these advertisements and think they can effectively take game at these ranges... Granted we all know someone who claims kills at 75 yards consistently.  My bet is that far more birds are wounded at this range than are cleanly killed..  Just my opinion.  

Neill_Prater

I posted on this subject a couple of weeks ago, but got little response. I did email the company through their "contact" address on their website, but never got a reply. I really should take time to put something in writing and mail it as well. I agree they ought to hear a LOT of complaints about this, but, in all likelihood, they won't, because some people won't make the effort, and lots of people will see the ad and think it is gospel.

Philippe

Not only is it bad advertising but it is giving the idea to uneducated shooters/hunters that it is ok to take these shots. Now the sad part is, I have personally had two different salesmen at local gun stores.and one sporting goods store tell me, "with hevi shot, you can easily take birds at 70+" and they expect me to believe it and grab every box off the shelf. Then i tell them the reality of things, they usually leave me alone after that.

bird

That's because most salesman in sporting goods stores don't know there head from their backside. They are just as gualable as the newbie and will believe what they read and pass that bogus information on to which the newbie will believe for gospel cuz the salesman said so and the Cabelas ad said so, so it has to be true.

HogBiologist

They are confusing all the newbies with a double speak type ad.  The #5 pellets might carry the energy out to that distance, but the pattern will fall apart long before it gets there.  In a way what they are saying might be true, but in reality what they are saying is not the whole truth.  Since i dont have a range finder while turkey hunting I use my scope.  I know how much of a turkey should be in the center of the reticle at 40 yards.  Kinda like squirrel hunting, you know when he is close enough and when he is not.  Environmetal is probably offended that hunters are bashing that ad because of the fact that the pellet has the energy.  BUT IT DONT HAVE THE PATTERN.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

bird

Why should Envirnomental be offended by what us hunters are saying? In reality they should be kissing our backsides as we are the one's that are buying their products as customers and they should do the responsible thing and tell Cabelas to fix the ad. But I highly doubt that ad will ever be changed as long as it sells shotgun shells. So ultimately it becomes our responsibility to ensure that the truth be told to the rest of the hunting community by policeing ourselves, especially when it comes to educating the newbie.

joey46

I have read this on several forums with almost all the same reaction.  Couple this with the very high (and rapidly climbing) price of all the no-tox loads and you will have not only the uninformed thinking they have a 75 yard "killer" but they will be too cheap to pattern it to see for themselves how risky that type of shot would be.  Cabelas should be ashamed.  I've bought my last "hevi" loads unless forced to by a lead shot ban in the turkey woods.  I do have one box of unopened old white Hevi 13 in #6 and one in #5s (both vintage 2007).  Almost thinking about trying to "scalp" them if the prices go much higher.  Having seen that one mail order company was asking $49.97 for a 5 pack of MagBlend my 10 packs of the famous "old white" should be worth at least a Benjamin.  Going to be interesting watching how far these long range claims and prices go in the future.  Might not be a bad thing if price causes a jump from the long range turkey hevi train.  Going to make things real tough for the duck guys though.  
BTW Neill - glad to see your post.  I was about to ask you on the other forum if you ever got a response from Cabelas.  I didn't figure you would have.  I won't order from them this year either.  I always protest with my wallet if no place else.

sevetts

this is the only part of this site i do not agree with, granted you dont have to deal with the riff raff of other sites which is awesome, lets not comment like its 1980, the advances of "heavyweight" shotshells, guns, and chokes are simply awesome and they CAN kill past the ol "had a long shot at 40yards garb"! i have seen more turkeys wounded with lead at 30 yards than hevi wieghts at 50! everyone wants turkeys beating up our decoys at 20 yards and pick a shot whenever you want it, but not everyone has a chance to hunt enough to get that 20 yard opertunity i will never bash a new hunter for taking a shot at a turkey, ive never met anyone who went out on one of gods awesome spring morning, heard em gobble, then when he misses said 'i dont think i want to try that again. its up to US when we take someone new to set with them, tell them when to shoot, congradulate them, calm them down when it all happens. NO ONE LOVES TURKEYS MORE THAN ME, theres a ton of people on here that love them as much as me! but All of us know 40 yards is an average shot anymore and if it isnt your guns not shooting as good as it could! this is excactly like saying you cant shoot a deer with a bow past 30 yards. i wouldnt try a turkey past 60, and wouldnt let someone new shoot past 40. but i also know that a #5 hevishot pellet at 75 yards has the"energy" to kill a turkey. which is a lot different than 30 years ago!

joey46

Gee I'm getting that "it's dejavu all over again" feeling Yogi.   

HogBiologist

sevetts, it is not that they dont have the energy.  it is that a joe blow hunter sees the add, grabs the shell, greabs the 870 and the walmart extra full rem choke.  he then goes to the woods and shoots and misses (wounds) a turkey at 60 yards.  then he comes on here and bashes the #7's saying they wont penetrate paper at 30 yards.  you know, that old chestnut.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

bird

BS..... Just because a shell or a gun "may" be capable of a longer than 40 shot DOES NOT mean that the hunter is capable of that shot. I don't care who you are, there is not one person that can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that they can guarantee that the bird won't twist, turn, duck his head or even step forward or backwards or sideways between the time you squeeze that trigger and the time it takes that shot to travel to the bird. Its a whole differnt ballgame when shooting at a piece of stationary paper and one of Gods greatest creature who deserves the dignity of a clean fast kill. The further the distance the higher the chances that you are going to miss that bird partially and end up wounding him most likely resulting in a bird that escapes to die a slow death without recovery. This the reason why long shots are no longer acceptable on this site as "we" here at OG are going to do the "responsible" thing in educating the newbie and some seasoned folks in th reality of long shot mentality.  If a person wants to hunt turkeys with a long shots then they need to travel to a state that allows hunting with a rifle. Shotguns are not rifles and their shots don't travel at the speed of a rifle shell to allow for a long shot.

So again .... OG and it's members are going to be responsible hunters and take the lead in the hunting community by discouraging long shots while turkey hunting. There's a reason why we also have a calls and calling section too on this site. Turkey hunting is more than turkey shooting!

Al

eaglea1