turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"Shooter's Choice" Bore cleaner......

Started by IDLEWILDMAN, February 21, 2011, 10:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDLEWILDMAN

Has anyone heard of this bore cleaner?  I was considering using it to polish my mossy barrel. Anybody try this stuff?

WildSpur

Good stuff!  Potent though--definitely open up a window if using indoors!

Cluck more, yelp less

eight bore

It is a bore cleaner and a good one at that, but why would you use it to polish a bore when
proven directions on this site advise otherwise ?
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

chatterbox

I think it would "deep clean" your barrel like no other bore cleaner out there, but for a polish job, you should follow VAHUNTER's directions which can be found in the turkey gun section. Old Gobbler made it a sticky post.
I have used it on my deer rifle, and the results were incredible. Great stuff.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

VAHUNTER

Shooter Choice and Butches are the 2 very best bore cleaners on the market. both will take any wad material out of your barrel and choke.

those two are the only bore cleaners i use on my rifles. great for removing lead and carbon.

if you want to use for deep cleaning they will do a excellant job. but they will not polish your barrel
Good things come to those who wait

pullit

Have used it for about 20 years or longer

hookedspur

Quote from: chatterbox on February 22, 2011, 05:57:21 AM
I think it would "deep clean" your barrel like no other bore cleaner out there, but for a polish job, you should follow VAHUNTER's directions which can be found in the turkey gun section. Old Gobbler made it a sticky post.
I have used it on my deer rifle, and the results were incredible. Great stuff.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Skeeterbait

Use it before polishing to remove plastic and lead and that will speed up the polishing process.  But during the polishing process it is the abrasive in the paste that is doing the work.  The Kroil is primarily serving as an oil and transport agent to spread the paste by creating a slurry.  Solvents aren't needed during the polish.  You can certainly use it again after the polish to remove the remaining polishing paste from the barrel.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 22, 2011, 08:51:59 AM
Use it before polishing to remove plastic and lead and that will speed up the polishing process.  But during the polishing process it is the abrasive in the paste that is doing the work.  The Kroil is primarily serving as an oil and transport agent to spread the paste by creating a slurry.  Solvents aren't needed during the polish.  You can certainly use it again after the polish to remove the remaining polishing paste from the barrel.
good point Skeeter. i always clean a barrel with Shooters choice or Butches before and after polishing.
Good things come to those who wait

sugarray

I have always been a Hoppe's man, so this stuff is better?

chatterbox

Quote from: sugarray on February 22, 2011, 12:02:04 PM
I have always been a Hoppe's man, so this stuff is better?
Light years better Ray. Shawn told me about it, and I used it to deep clean my .308's barrel.
Now mind you, this barrel is roughly 20 years old, and the copper fouling that came out of the barrel was incredible! Loads, and loads of green. When I finished, the barrel was super clean!

BigPeck215

use it on all my rifles and handguns where copper fouling is an issue, but i still use hoppes 9 on my shotguns, i clean them very regularly so i dont live to use a really aggressive cleaner like shooters choice

justjohn

The stuff works great. BE SURE TO HAVE VENTILATION GAVE ME ONE HECK OF A HEADACHE.

John

REBELYELL

PB Blaster also does a great job on removing wadding residue, especially after a good polishing job. Another good tip for cleaning and shooting on the same day is soak a patch in Isopropyl alcohol and run it through your barrel. The alcohol will remove all the oil from cleaning to optimize performance.