turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dust collection system

Started by TRKYHTR, February 23, 2012, 11:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

I am in need of a good dust collection system. My wife is tired of all the dust in the garage. One of these days I plan on making a shop to do all of my call making. But for right now I am in my garage. So my wife bought me a shop vac today for my birthday thinking that was what I needed. Any advice on a dust collection system would be appreciated. Pictures would help as well. Thanks,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

bcc2011

Rikon or jet system is great. They have a few different sizes to choose from
Brother Custom Calls

handcannon

Here's something a link to a post I started a while back. It has a link to some reviews and info on dust collectors I thought was useful.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,13654.0.html

VanHelden Game Calls

For turning a shop vac works good.  Now to make it even better is to get the plastic cyclone funnel on the 5 gallon pail.  Then get the paper dust bags for the vac itself. 

I bought one and am now able to run for months on a paper bag filter in the shop vac, and the dust in the garage has been drastically reduced.  And the upkeep for the system is penny's.

saveallj

VanHelden Game Calls

Its a great system for hobbyists.  Most of us have a shop vac so for $50 you get a nice dust collector.  And the shop vac can still be used for other purposes if needed.

I am a garage builder myself.  And if I can get more uses from a single piece of equipment I will.  :you_rock:

Cut*N*Run

You might consider skipping the bag and venting directly outside. I drilled a hole in my storm door downstairs and put a sliding blast gate in. I have to do a bit of cleanup outside every now and then, but it eliminates needing to empty the bag and it keeps the <1 micron particles that would go right through the bag out of the house.

Might not make a difference for a garage work area, but it's a thought.

Also- I have the 1.5 HP from PSI and I really like it. It moves a lot of air and it's much quieter than a shop vac.

Redfish71

I use this with shop vac, I never loose power or have to clean the vac.

Bonjour

Sorry, but a shop vac is like using a 4 cylinder in a semi truck. It won't get near as much of the dust that you need it to get out. I would strongly recommend getting one of the larger dust collectors. I would also recommend one of the air scrubber systems. I run a larger dust collection system while I am turning and sanding and run a jet air scrubber that I have put on a movable cart for when I am sanding or doing anything that is creating dust. The big plus of the air scrubber is that it moves a lot of air and filters down to 1 micron which is small enough to go directly into the lungs and create some major health problems. Wood dust can be very toxic to breathe in and can cause many problems such as cancer, emphasema, and other lung diseases. I would do it for your health and not just to keep the garage clean, that is just a bonus.