OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turning speed question

Started by Basser69, February 23, 2012, 08:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

I have been turning my stuff at about 1000 rpm's with some tear out. I am using a carbide cutter that is like new. I actually bought it last week. Do I need to jump up my speed to 1500-1800 rpm's as well as take less of a bite? Thanks for any help offered

merocustomcalls

Honestly I leave my speed at 1850 for everything, pot calls, trumpets, bowls.......I haven't adjusted the speed in years.

BERN

A good rule of thumb for turning anything is
Diameter x speed = 6000-8000
My cuts started looking nicer and more tool control. So a striker is pretty much as fast as your lathe will go and a pot a little slower if you want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Gobblerstopper

Quote from: merocustomcalls on February 23, 2012, 10:21:30 PM
Honestly I leave my speed at 1850 for everything, pot calls, trumpets, bowls.......I haven't adjusted the speed in years.

That's about where mine is too. Used to do everything wide open, but slowed it down and haven't changed it since.

BERN

Quote from: BERN on February 23, 2012, 10:26:35 PM
My cuts started looking nicer and more tool control. So a striker is pretty much as fast as your lathe will go and a pot a little slower if you want.

i meant between 6000 and 8000.

M,Yingling

I like to take light cuts and high speed is the way for me ,,
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

misfire

High speed and turn the bevel of your tool to where it "slices" wood instead of tearing it.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

lightsoutcalls

The only time I turn the speed down is to sand.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

VanHelden Game Calls

Mid speed for me.  Whatever it is :TooFunny:

I find tear out is more a cause of poor tool presentation and or sharpening.
Some woods are also prone to it.  Palm comes to mind :character0029:

I bought a book at wood craft on wood turning.  How to sharpen, what tools can do what and the proper way to present and use the tool.  Best $ I spent, and I look at it from time to time to refresh and to understand what I did not before, its amazing how things work when done right.

Basser69

Thanks for the info guys! When I get over the sinus infection, higher speed it will be!

Trevor2

Quote from: BERN on February 23, 2012, 10:26:35 PM

You hit the nail on the head, I used to be in maching school and that was our standard, unless we were doing "high shine" work. I have only turned wood down a few times so my memory fails me on this subject but that is solid advice. Hope to get a lathe one day and turn my own calls just for hobby.
Strutstopper