OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which is better? Deep Clean vs Polishing?

Started by Tom.Tommerson, February 23, 2012, 09:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom.Tommerson

Which is better?  Deep Clean vs Polishing the barrel for best pattern improvements?

any side effects to either?

mcgruff1533

Deep Clean first, then polish.     Both steps work in tandem.

No side effects to either.

Gobble!

better results after a polish and deep clean can do wonders though

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom.Tommerson on February 23, 2012, 09:55:42 AM
Which is better?  Deep Clean vs Polishing the barrel for best pattern improvements?

They are just different procedures. The "deep clean" has no negative side effects and may be used on any barrel including those with chrome-linings.

It can really help with patterns and most people are surprised at the "gunk" that comes out of even seemingly clean bores.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

FullChoke

Side effects? Yeah, not being able to wipe that silly grin off of your face after patterning it.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Tom.Tommerson

Deep cleaing looks like it would be relatively safe.  but i was afraid to polish the barrel due to seeing a post that shows a brand new out of the box gun polished and black gunk still come out of it.  could that possibly be an inner coating specifically put in the barrel to keep it from rusting between hunts... 

gobbler74

Polishing works, don't know if its better than deep cleaning. Only modern shotgun barrel I wouldn't try to polish would be the crio.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Turkhunter

Just deep cleaned a new 835 this week as described by Clark on here. What comes out will surprise you.

Jonathan

FullChoke

Quote from: Tom.Tommerson on February 23, 2012, 11:09:35 AM
Deep cleaing looks like it would be relatively safe.  but i was afraid to polish the barrel due to seeing a post that shows a brand new out of the box gun polished and black gunk still come out of it.  could that possibly be an inner coating specifically put in the barrel to keep it from rusting between hunts... 

It is quite normal to generate 'black gunk' from both processes. The BG from the Deep Cleaning process is deposits left from shooting. On new guns, there is often a protective coating that the manufacturers put on the surfaces of all metal parts in order to prevent rust. This must be cleaned off of all of the metal parts, including internally, in order for the gun to operate smoothly. This preservative material is waxy in appearance and consistency and should not be considered a substitute for judicious gun care. The interior of the barrel should be cleaned after every hunt when any shooting is done.

The BG from barrel polishing is the microscopic oxidized metal that is being removed as a byproduct of the polishing procedures. It is not recommended for chrome-lined or cryogenically treated (crio) barrels.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

goblr77

If it's a chrome lined barrel, deep clean only. For everything else....polish. After the initial polish I would still deep clean once a year or so.

redleg06

I polished two seasons ago and deep cleaned last year and this year... 

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Tom.Tommerson on February 23, 2012, 11:09:35 AM

There is no coating in any gun barrel that should ever stay in a gun'sbarrel, unless you count a chrome lining and that isn't gonna be black by any means.  The "coating I think you are talking about is called KOSMOLINE.  It is a grease like lubricant/protectant that alot of gun makers coat their guns in to protect them during shippment and for when they may sit for long periods of time in the box.  That stuff, you definetely want to get rid of!  Mossberg has I think the biggest contrat with the maker of the stuff as I have never seen a new mossy shotgun that wasn't just soaked in it!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.