turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wing Bone Modification

Started by NCDEADEYE, February 22, 2012, 07:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDEADEYE

How is the easiest/best way to put glue in Gobbler wing bones to shrink hole to sound like a hen??
i have previously used a chicken bone to make smaller but very time consuming.

FullChoke

Well, I have never tried that before, but I would guess that you could use a 5-minute epoxy and fill in the ends of the radius and ulna that will be in the overlapping joints of the call. Let them cure thoroughly and drill a hole in the epoxy that is the same area as a corresponding hen wingbone. It may take some experimenting, but it may work. I would think that the resonance of the wild turkey wingbone may be effected by additional internal material, but it may not. Just don't put a lot of additional epoxy in the bone.

On a related subject, the tone of the wingbone call is a delicate balancing act of bone length, the age and physical condition of the turkey, the level of humidity and how the bones were stored, cleaned and whitened. Ultimately, the "sound quality" of the call depends on the prowess and abilities of the caller. Even a Stradivarius violin can render a squawking racket in the wrong hands.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

North of 8

Dental cement and then drill it out to your needed diameter.

decoykrvr

Fill the radius @ 1/4" deep (the mouth suction end) w/ JB Weld or taxidermy Apoxie Sculpt.  After it completely sets, drill out the hole w/ a 3/32 bit.

VanHelden Game Calls

Marine epoxy is a perfect white to whitened bones.  And a drill bit makes the hole, or epoxy in a tube of desired diameter.

NCDEADEYE

Thanks guys, i wanted to make sure before i sucked glue down my windpipe.