OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Polycarbonate (Plexi-glass) Soundboards

Started by Footballer, February 22, 2012, 02:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

Anybody used one? I was looking at some plexi-glass I purchased from Lowes and it claims to be 200 times stronger than glass. I doubt it could be used as a primary surface, but I don't see why it couldn't be used as a soundboard given it is the correct thickness.

lightsoutcalls

Depending on the call surface and the pot design, it works fine. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

M,Yingling

I got a pile of the stuff and often wondered how it would work out
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

WillowRidgeCalls

I works, but it makes for a low tone flat sounding call. It does not work for a playing surface, because it's to soft, unless you like a dead call sound?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

lightsoutcalls

Please remember that advice given from any callmaker about changing a component to effect the sound of a call, their input is gauged from their own experience with their own pot design.  That said, I have made glass calls with an acrylic soundboard that rocked.  The volume was there, the pitch was there, the tone was there.  I use nothing but acrylic as soundboards in my 3" copper calls and have had nothing but great reviews from buyers. 
The only way you will know if it works in your pot design is to give it a try.  Please understand that my comments are not intended to reflect negatively on anyone or advice given previously.  There are so many variables from one pot design to the next that changing one variable may give a different effect with a different pot design. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on February 23, 2012, 02:20:05 PM
Please remember that advice given from any callmaker about changing a component to effect the sound of a call, their input is gauged from their own experience with their own pot design.  That said, I have made glass calls with an acrylic soundboard that rocked.  The volume was there, the pitch was there, the tone was there.  I use nothing but acrylic as soundboards in my 3" copper calls and have had nothing but great reviews from buyers. 
The only way you will know if it works in your pot design is to give it a try.  Please understand that my comments are not intended to reflect negatively on anyone or advice given previously.  There are so many variables from one pot design to the next that changing one variable may give a different effect with a different pot design. 

well said my friend
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

WillowRidgeCalls

I agree with Wendel 100%. What works for one may not work at all for the next guy. That's part of pay your dues as a call builder. Everybodies pots a bit different in shape, cut, and form, so unless you try it, all you have is someones opinion of what worked in Their Calls.  :icon_thumright:
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott