OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most pressured public land

Started by Basin_hunter, February 22, 2012, 09:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basin_hunter

Quote from: redarrow on February 22, 2012, 03:12:52 PM
Southern Half of Michigan.If you hunt state land you better plan on seeing more orange than you will see in a punkin patch come opening day of deer season.Turkey season ain;t quite that bad.

That sounds like some of the public land in Louisiana for deer season !
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Everywhere is hunted hard in Mississippi........

REBELYELL

Homochitto National Forest in southwest Mississippi

K9Doc

I think any Public area with easy access and close to a major city gets hammered.  I went to Mississippi State (Go Dawgs!!!)  and I can tell you the college guys hit the National forests pretty hard all week long.
Mississippi gets a nod.
Florida Public gets it pretty good too.  I was in line 2 hours before daylight to get a spot to kill an Osceola in 2001. Over 300 people begging to hunt and only about 150 allowed to enter.  I swear I thought I was in line at a B.A.S.S. Classic!!!
It was worth it though!!  Shot my Osceola on Public Land Baby!!!!    :toothy12:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

bustinbirds

Lifelong member of The Tenth Legion

Ol'Mossy

sippy cup

Ive hunted VA its hit pretty hard especially by PA and MARYLAND hunters :OGturkeyhead: :funnyturkey:
beware of longdale legend

Beretta686

The Black Hills of South Dakota. I can remember going there and only having 2 trucks in the hotel parking lot. Last time I was there no vacancy at any hotel. All turkey hunters.

Set up on birds to have other hunter walk up to the tree they were roosted in. It was worse than anything I have every experienced on any other public land.

Montana and Idaho, never saw another hunter.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

yukonhunter

www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com

Cove

Saddle up for the first spring opener in the nation in the southern region of Florida, general hunt- no quota, then come talk to me.  :whip2:

Shotgun

WHichever WMA in Arkansas that has ducks at the time.  You just think public land is crowded until you experience this.

Preacher

If you can Kill a gobbler on public land in Ms ,  I believe you can go anywhere and kill anything.    It anit just the amount of folks hunting ,  its the type of local guy that is a 5th generation outlaw/woodsman that seems to watch where I park my truck and hunt the same birds I hunt.   They are mean and dangerious,  I can say that cause I was at at one time one of the worst offenders.    We use to sit around in June and july and think of creative ways to mess the out -of staters up.  ( now I anit proud,  as a matter of fact I am sorry and ashamed) but this is an example of what a public land Ms turkey hunter is up against ,  and with cell phones and other tech.  it has gotten worse.
Romans 8:37

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Beretta686 on February 22, 2012, 06:12:10 PM
The Black Hills of South Dakota. I can remember going there and only having 2 trucks in the hotel parking lot. Last time I was there no vacancy at any hotel. All turkey hunters.

Set up on birds to have other hunter walk up to the tree they were roosted in. It was worse than anything I have every experienced on any other public land.

Montana and Idaho, never saw another hunter.

I think it is about time you moved to another area in the Black Hills...We have made two trips over the past 5 years and have only ever encountered 1 other hunter actually hunting. And all he did was ride around blowing a crow call.

Quote from: Covehnter on February 22, 2012, 06:22:18 PM
Saddle up for the first spring opener in the nation in the southern region of Florida, general hunt- no quota, then come talk to me.  :whip2:

Florida would be my second choice, and the 2 hunts I have been on were even quota hunts.. Outlaws (roost shooters) are bad there too.

The only reason I don't rank it ahead of Mississippi is that the Florida hunters where we have hunted aren't near as willing to get a mile off the road as the MS hunters are.

TRKYHTR

CA At lest the hunters in MS and AL know how to hunt. How would you like 1000's of guys stomping around the few pieces of public ground that have no clue how to turkey hunt except what they see on TV.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Fullfan

PA gets my vote, shot a gobbler on the first day several years ago and when it was done flopping there were 5 other guys standing around me.
Don't gobble at me...