turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

28 gauge heavy shot

Started by reflexl, February 22, 2012, 08:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I got in 3 boxes of the 28 gauge #6 heavy yesterday. I will try to pattern it tomorrow. With a 35 yard self imposed limt this should be good stuff. reflex264

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

deadbuck

decoykrvr

EnvironMetal/Hevi-Shot.  I've shot the 6's out of my Chas Daly/Miroku, 28 gauge O/U which has fixed modified/IC on geese at 20-35 yards.  As long as you lead and shoot the head like your shooting doves, they are deadly.  I would be interested in your patterning results.

reflexl

I am headed out to pattern it shortly. Will also run it side by side with the 1oz W-W #6 and the Fiochi golden pheasant #6. The more I think about it I may draw the line at 30 yards for patterns with the gun. If I can't get them closer than that I need tolearn to call better......

gobbler74

Quote from: reflexl on February 23, 2012, 01:59:38 PM
I am headed out to pattern it shortly. Will also run it side by side with the 1oz W-W #6 and the Fiochi golden pheasant #6. The more I think about it I may draw the line at 30 yards for patterns with the gun. If I can't get them closer than that I need tolearn to call better......
Good to see something different. Interested in patterns.  :icon_thumright:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

marshboy

Is that the Classic Doubles load?
I've killed ducks over the dekes and rooster pheasants flushed before my Labs with 28s before, but have never attempted turkey hunting with a 28.
Greg

reflexl

This is the hot version of the 28ga instead of the classic double laod. Here is a link to it:http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ENV4280CS#FeaturedReview

The wind has been too rough to do any good patterning. Hope today I get something done. I did take a couple of shots with it un-scientificaly and believe I am going to have to have more constriction than the factory XF rem choke. The XF works great with the 1oz W-W load and the golden pheasant Fiochi. reflex264

reflexl

Well I got started anyway. The heavy shot is going to take a bit tighter choke than I thought. I shot it in the mod barrel and the Rem choke barrel with the XF Rem tube. The 1oz W-W #6 is getting 120 pellets in 10" at 35 yards. With a turkey head target every single time there are multiple killing hits. The Fiochi #6 threw a larger but more even pattern with only 89 pellets in the 10" circle. I put the sights on the barrel and adjusted for the W-W load. One cool aspect is the close shot performance. I have missed super close birds before with my 835. At 10 yards it shoots a bullet hole pettern with stragglers. The 28 gauge at 10 yards has a turkey head busting 3" saturated area with some fliers about 6" around the central group. No miss there. I am going to try to talk to Briley tomorrow about one of the XXF extended chokes. reflexl