turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Problems with crystal cracking?

Started by MarkJM, February 21, 2012, 09:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJM

Hey guys, I am trying to glue crystal into a laminated pot. For some reason both times my crystal has cracked in the exact same place. I know my pot isnt warping, so what else would it be? would it be the glue I am using? I am using tightbond2 (works great and has for years). I usually do 3 1/4 pots but was trying 3 1/2. any reason this might be cracking on me that you know of ?

-Mark
MuellerCustomCalls

woodwzrd

Are you using tightbond II to glue the surface in? If so I would highly recommend switching over to Plumbers Goop. It bonds great and fast and stays flexible after it cures.

MarkJM

Quote from: woodwzrd on February 21, 2012, 10:39:21 PM
Are you using tightbond II to glue the surface in? If so I would highly recommend switching over to Plumbers Goop. It bonds great and fast and stays flexible after it cures.

I am using tightbond II to do it, I have never had a problem with it before. maybe I should try switching to goop
MuellerCustomCalls

kenturkey89

I use goop and have had no issues with crystal yet (*fingers crossed). 
Brian

misfire

I too use Plumbers Goop. But with crystal ( more than any other surface) you dont want to have the lip too tight on the crystal, it will pop every time with just the smallest amount of wood movement
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

pappy

Crystal, because of the lead content is actually softer then regular glass, there for it would crack easier when put in a bind, I have seen a lot of double thickness crystal, withstand the test of time, where single thick has cracked, I use Plumber's Goop and leave just enough room between the edge of the crystal and the inside wall of the pot's outer edge to allow me to turn the crystal and seat it in the glue.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

MarkJM

So what you guys are saying is you want a little bit of play between the wall of your pot and the crystal? Come to think of it the crystal did sit down in with only a little bit of place. It was a good fit but I didnt have to force the piece into the pot. It would fall in and out on its own but had very little play inside the pot
MuellerCustomCalls

TN-Hunter

Tightbond will lock the surface in place and any movement in the wood will cause the crystal to crack. The goop will allow a small amount of movement this will be taken up by the flexable glue.

CallMaker

Everyone has already said it....Use Goop!   I use it for all of my pot calls. 
Steven

misfire

Quote from: MarkJM on February 22, 2012, 10:10:16 AM
So what you guys are saying is you want a little bit of play between the wall of your pot and the crystal?

Yes
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net