OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

LOUDEST OWL HOOTER!!

Started by spurz, February 21, 2011, 05:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurz

What owl hooter will make them gobble 2-3 ridges over late in the season when it has leafed out?

Any Suggestions.

Skeeterbait

;D Seriously, I can get loud with my natural voice and I remember hearing some loud barrel calls.  I don't think you are going to get the volume you are looking for from a reed call.

spurz

I do ok with my voice it just doesn't carry to well, some of the ground I hunt are large tracts of national forest and I can't get the response like I do early in the season.Thanks for the help I will look into some barrel type calls.

I wouldn't be afraid to try the air horn! :lol:

shootumindaface

The natural tones of an owl are not the best carrying tones.. If you have a loud hooter it does not sound realistic

drum817

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 09:56:47 PM
The natural tones of an owl are not the best carrying tones.. If you have a loud hooter it does not sound realistic

TRUE....but that being said, the Harrison Hooter (while not the loudest) is the best Hooter in my personal opinion.  It carries a LOOOONG way on a quiet morning.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

spurz

e]

TRUE....but that being said, the Harrison Hooter (while not the loudest) is the best Hooter in my personal opinion.  It carries a LOOOONG way on a quiet morning.
[/quote]

Thanks, I think I am going to try the Harrison.

t_eagen13

Spurz,

I got a custom Harrison Hooter for this spring and love it. When you first blow it it doesn't seem to sound too loud. But from what I've read from guys like drum, it carries plenty and as shootum says just because it is louder does not mean it is more effective. The Harrison hooter is definately not the loudest hooter out there but it's for sure the most realistic I've heard. I'm not too worried about the volume, the tone/pitch are key and I think it will carry plenty far for locating turkeys.

hookedspur

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 21, 2011, 08:27:44 PM

;D Seriously, I can get loud with my natural voice and I remember hearing some loud barrel calls.  I don't think you are going to get the volume you are looking for from a reed call.
:TooFunny:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Executioner

Quote from: spurz on February 22, 2011, 04:21:11 PM
e]

Thanks, I think I am going to try the Harrison.
[/quote] The sound does carry a LOOOONG way on a quiet morning, and I've had birds gobble up to a mile away using it. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4

beardcollector

Palmer's Hoot tube is the loudest one I've ever blown. But I use a coyote howler if I truely want to find distant birds. The whole idea of a locator is to find them, realism isn't too imporant IMO. Don't get me wrong its still imporant, but its not on top of my list.

spurz

I've never used the coyote in the morning just in the evenings when roosting, never really thought about trying it then, I like the Pileated woodpecker call to, it carries well.My buddy has a Palmers and  I don't know if it is just his or what but it sounds terrible,loud but terrible.

lightsoutcalls

I had a reeded hoot call by another maker (will not mention who, but not a part of the OG family) that was loud, but sounded like dookie.  I sold it on ebay and got a real hooter... Harrison's HootnStick.  The first time I blew it, I thought there must be something wrong with it, as it was much quieter.  The true test is in the woods.  As has been said, it carries like you wouldn't believe outdoors.  Just don't try to over-blow it.  I think you'll be amazed with the results.   :icon_thumright:
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Skeeterbait

I blow owl calls and owls show up.  I blow crow calls and crows show up.  Not going to blow coyote call cause I don't want them to show up and mess up my hunt.  Haven't tried a peacock call.  Is it legal to shoot a peacock?  :begging:

drum817

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 25, 2011, 01:18:31 PM
I blow owl calls and owls show up.  I blow crow calls and crows show up.  Not going to blow coyote call cause I don't want them to show up and mess up my hunt.  Haven't tried a peacock call.  Is it legal to shoot a peacock?  :begging:

Don't see why not......wonder how it would taste ?  :boon:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

t_eagen13

Quote from: drum817 on February 25, 2011, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 25, 2011, 01:18:31 PM

Don't see why not......wonder how it would taste ?  :boon:

You've never had fried peacock?!?!  :goofball: