OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

diaphragm cuts

Started by swampgobbler, February 19, 2012, 02:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampgobbler

For the guys making their own, how do you get clean cuts especially in those hard to reach places? Any tips or am I just using the wrong pair of scissors?  The ones I have are the small hobby scissors and are pretty Sharp. I'm just not satisfied with the appearance although the sound is pretty good.

TRKYHTR

Good sharp scissors and a steady hand.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Houndstooth Game Calls

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 19, 2012, 03:17:55 PM
Good sharp scissors and a steady hand.

TRKYHTR

This is true no shortcuts on learning how to properly cut a call just trial and error!

swampgobbler

not looking for a shortcut, just wanted to make sure i wasn't walking 5 miles the wrong way.  if its just trial and error, i'll eventually nail it.  just have to steady my hand a little more. 

Johnny Dingo in SC

I haven't tried making diaphragm calls, but you should look into the Fiskars Micro-Tip scissors. I use them for some other crafting and they are fine detail scissors. You can buy them on Amazon, or any craft store. The only drawback is that the thumb and finger holes are not designed for man's hands. They are pretty small.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-94817797-Micro-tip-scissors-double/dp/B00006IFNA/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1330453949&sr=8-21

Lonehowl

I use fly tying scissors, small size, got em off ebay.
Mark

mfd1027

"Good" scissors are the key and Dr. Slick's makes good one's.   They're fly tying scissors.   I prefer cuticle scissors and the last pair I bought were a pair of "Rubis" from Switzerland.   They're expensive but worth every penny.   If you don't make too many call's you can try cuticle scissors from your local drug store or wally world but be warned you'll go through 5 pairs of them to find one good pair.   One other thing you can do at first to steady your hand is to use some sort of holder for the call so you can use two hands to make the cuts.   Good Luck!!
Dan

swampgobbler

Thanks guys. I have found some fly tying scissors that should do what I need em to

gwa

Why even put cuts on them?

swampgobbler

Quote from: gwa on March 03, 2012, 01:17:41 PM
Why even put cuts on them?

I like the way the different cuts sound