turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tru oil?

Started by Houndstooth Game Calls, February 18, 2012, 11:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndstooth Game Calls

Just curious if anyone likes the tru oil finish. Has anyone used it on pots was looking to try some on cherry pots. So let me know some pros and cons on it..Lyle

kenturkey89

I love tru-oil and it's the only finish I use on domestic woods.  I wipe it on with an old soft t-shirt that I've cut up and that seams to work best as an applicator.  It usually dries to the touch within about 30 minutes to and hour (some parts may still be wet) but I let mine dry overnight.  I apply 4-5 thin coats, buffing in between with some fine 0000 steel wool.  It's a very durable finish and one that looks great!
Brian

Houndstooth Game Calls

Well it ought do fine then as long as its not oil woods. Guess I will go with it and see.

Redfish71

Tru oil is great on calls I apply 3-5 coats and  use 0000 steel wool between coats.

swampgobbler

tru-oil has been a pretty good finish.  4 coats usually is enough.  i apply with my finger and have not had any problems. 

Stoner

I used it on all my pot calls, never had a problem and it looks good. I put it on with my hands while the call is spinning on the lathe. I then turn the lathe off and rub the call down by hand to smooth out the finish. If you put the call finish on by hand wash your hands with an abrasive soap to get the finish off your hands otherwise it will build up on your hands and fingernails and looks nasty.