OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I see that Arkansas eliminated the Jake out the bag limit.

Started by HogBiologist, February 21, 2011, 01:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

I wish Florida would make the move to a no- Jake

I'm not one for trophy type mentality , but this makes for common sense

1) the sexually un-reproductive Jake's that don't get shot this season equals  "even more" sexually reproductive gobblers next season

2) cant speak for other states but the mating season has a good portion of it prior to the hunting season opening , that means that the hens will have a better chance of being bred up even if all the gobblers in the area are killed when the hunting season occurs

3) A no-jake rule or greater than 6 inch beard rule  forces otherwise carefree hunters to closely scrutinize their shots , if you cant see how big the beard is he is likely out of shotgun range -  this will likely result in a more selective shot environment - greater shot per kill ratio and will help to weed out careless hunters taking careless dangerous shots{hunter safety}   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

yella yelper

Quote from: guesswho on February 21, 2011, 08:33:54 PM
Does Arkansas have a fall season?

We DID. It was archery only but it has been closed altogether for two years. It was kind of crappy how they did it. I have a lifetime license so I get all my tags in the mail every year about September. The year they closed it, all the tags for fall turkey had already been mailed out and it was "open" in the reg books.

cuttinAR

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 04:20:10 PM
Quote from: cuttinAR on February 21, 2011, 04:09:48 PM
Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 03:47:56 PM
I hope so much this sport does not become like deer hunting and deer management..

Our game and fish is not forcing this upon us.  They actually conducted surveys of all the hunters here in AR to judge opposition to the proposed no jake rule.  It showed most were in favor and that is a product of how bad our turkey population currently is.  We are trying to increase the gobbler carryover by pushing back the season opener and now eliminating the jake harvest. 

I agree and one reason I don't deer hunt much is because of all the fuss about letting bucks age, can't shoot a small deer without getting &#*#%( at, etc.  The no-jake rule is strictly to try and rebuild our turkey population and I'm all for that!
Not picking an argument trying to gather info.. So your population of gobblers is so low that hens are going un bred?

I cannot see how protecting males in a specie that does not form pair bonds is going to have any effect on population other than +1...

IMO the true answer would be to improve nesting habitat and curb the predator population..

Yes, our population is so low that some hens are going un-bred.  That is why our opener is pushed back to April 16 so by that time peak breeding has passed.  This has nothing to do with growing trophy turkeys, just getting our population back up to levels from a decade ago. 

And yes, we had a fall season until two years ago.  It was archery and some counties in the Ouachitas and Ozarks had a firearm season also.  Only ~400 turkeys were killed during it so definitely some controversy as to why it was closed.

Regarding restricting harvest....the amount of hunters that are able to take 2 turkeys during a three week season is very low especially during peak breeding = henned up/no gobbling.  Restricting jake harvest will increase gobbler carryover much more than eliminating a turkey from the bag limit.  When our levels get back to what seemed to be normal, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the restriction lifted.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on February 21, 2011, 08:06:14 PM
Quote from: lightsoutcalls on February 21, 2011, 01:59:37 PMAlthough many of us here in AR do wear shoes (contrary to legend), we do still have lots of rednecks that don't buy licenses, read regulations or recognize seasons or bag limits.

I would have to say that is an incorrect blanket statement...... POACHERS is a more fitting term......

There are many Rednecks/Hillbillies here in Tennessee..... as far as I know, they don't marry their sisters or brothers contrary to legend..... We have problems with POACHERS too!!

Sorry if there was some confusion with the terminology.  Poachers would be a better term.  I have an uncle that meets the definition of both words.  I was referring to people who see the land and the critters that inbahit it as their own, and don't tolerate anyone telling them how they can or can't hunt.  My uncle will flat out tell you that he will take a deer whenever he wants to.  I don't endorse that viewpoint or much of the rest of his lifestyle.  He has had about as many wives as he has cars that don't run in his yard.  His current wife shot him last year if that tells you anything...  Whatever you call them, there are folks that just don't "play by the rules", regardless of what the rules might be. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

PANYHunter

So can someone clue me in on why they allow bearded hens to be shot? What if the bearded hen doesn't have a 4" beard?  Not trying to be critical of you guys on here that support it, just saying that AGFC is being hypocritical allowing the harvest of hens in the spring but not jakes.

jperrotti

I hope Louisiana doesn't follow. I have enough trouble trying to tell if a deer is 2.5 or 3.5. Don't feel like having to analyze turkeys too before I shoot. Trophies are in the eye of the hunter. Not what the wildlife and fisheries say is a trophy.
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

vicksburg

It was the best move the Mississippi Dept of Wildlife Fisheries & Parks ever made...granted, they haven't made many other good ones...
]

honker22

Quote from: jperrotti on February 22, 2011, 12:08:11 PM
I hope Louisiana doesn't follow. I have enough trouble trying to tell if a deer is 2.5 or 3.5. Don't feel like having to analyze turkeys too before I shoot. Trophies are in the eye of the hunter. Not what the wildlife and fisheries say is a trophy.

I agree that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder, but it's not tough to tell if you have a jake in front of you or not.  

First clue- full gobble...probably an adult gobbler, this isn't always the case but I'd guess at least 90% of the time.  
2nd clue- Beard that is 6+ inches, that is pretty obvious.  Almost every adult gobbler has an 8" plus beard.  
3rd clue- Full fan- this is why gobblers with full fans are allowed in MS, regardless of jake or not.  You can also look at the leg color, but by clue 2 or so, I've pretty much got it figured out.

This isn't a trophy thing, just making sure that we have gobbling 2 year olds for the next year.  Anything to increase turkey numbers in Louisiana, I am for.  I don't think this is the full answer but it sure as heck won't hurt.  jperotti, don't take offense, I'm not trying to belittle you, just respectfully disagreeing and explaining why.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

knightrider

i dont agree with it from real management practices, but i hope it helps . i personally dont shoot jakes but it sure does light up the eyes of any young or beginner to take a jake.some of my most memorible hunts have been calling up some jakes for newbies

jperrotti

None taken. I shot a "super jake" last year that would've been tough to tell he was a jake. Came in behind gobbling in the wind. He spotted me but stuck around a second or two too long.

Here's a turkey with beard rot had about a 1/2" beard but 1" spurs.

Here's another killed on our club that had a beard rot on part of his beard. By the end of the year it might've been gone too.

I just feel that's one of the things I enjoy about turkey hunting is killing freakin turkeys. I'm over regulated in all the other parts of my life at least let me kill which turkey I feel like.
Me killing 2 jakes or 2 three year olds is not going to change the population. The same number of hens will be bred.
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

EliteArkHunter

wareagle99

Quote from: FireDoc on February 21, 2011, 08:42:35 PM
I am now selling memberships in my new organization; QTMA.

Quality Turkey Management Association.

Join today and get a Free window decal.  ;)

This is what I'm afraid of.....if he's old enough to strut and gobble.....he's old enough to DIE!!!  I generally dont shoot jakes, but.............

NYbassman

I hope this doesn't become a popular trend among other states. I hate what deer hunting has become, and I hope to God that turkey hunting doesn't start down that trail. In many areas deer hunting has become an elitist sport that is all about the biggest and best, not the experience, and that is a shame IMO. New hunters are looked down on if they shoot anything less than a record book buck, and I would hate for that to become the way of turkey hunting too. If a new hunter wants to shoot a jake and it makes him happy, what is wrong with that? I know a few people who have hunted for years and years and still get a great rush from the shooting of a jake, why should that be taken away from them. I challenge anyone here to come up with a good reason why someone should not be allowed to harvest a jake if that gets them excited. FWIW, I don't shoot jakes, but I have no problem with those who do. I would much rather see someone shoot a jake and be super pumped about it, than see someone shoot a mature tom and be dissapointed because it is "only a two year old".

TANK

I wouldn't mind this rule at all,  I like the idea. I don't know about you guys but I'm more proud of a 2 year old hanging on my wall than a jake. When I killed them in the past I felt like should be ashamed of myself. I get what yall are saying about the whole trophey deer hunting crap, but how could turkey hunting get to shooting a 4 year old, mature gobbler weighing over 21 lbs, with a 12 1/2 inch beard, & 1 3/4 spurs, it can't!

campcreekfarm

I have been hunting Mississippi for 38 yrs now and I guess the jake program has been in effect for about 10 +/- yrs.  And the club that I hunt primarily has not allowed the taking of jakes for 20+ yrs.  I must say I think it is the best thing since buttered bread.