Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I see that Arkansas eliminated the Jake out the bag limit.

Started by HogBiologist, February 21, 2011, 01:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

I was talking to Papa Lab, and he told me ( and I read it on the AGFC web page) that arkansas will not allow shooting jakes this year.  The only exception is for youths 15 and under, and they are only allowed one Jake.  Bout time they did this.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

honker22

Can we get Louisiana to do this??? surely you have some pull with the top guys
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

turkey slayer

Quote from: honker22 on February 21, 2011, 01:51:53 PM
Can we get Louisiana to do this??? surely you have some pull with the top guys
x2 that would be great!

HogBiologist

Come to the public season setting meetings and comment on it.

March 9 at 6 p.m., Alexandria Convention Hall located at 915 Third St.
March 15 at 6:30 p.m., LDWF Office in Minden located at 9961 Hwy. 80
March 15 at 6:30 p.m., Yambilee Festival Bldg., 1939 W. Landry, Opelousas
March 16 at 6 p.m., Ponchatoula High School Cafeteria, 19452 Hwy. 22.
March 17 at 6 p.m., Bastrop Visitor Center, 124 N. Washington St
March 22 at 6:30 p.m., LSU Ag Center, 7101 Gulf Hwy., Lake Charles.

Certified Wildlife Biologist

lightsoutcalls

That is all well and good for ethical hunters that abide by the regulations...

Although many of us here in AR do wear shoes (contrary to legend), we do still have lots of rednecks that don't buy licenses, read regulations or recognize seasons or bag limits.  

I've heard the drop in turkey population attributed to bad hatches.  I still think the predator population still has a lot to do with the numbers.  The number of hogs has exploded and we see a lot of roadkilled coyotes.  
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

shootumindaface

I hope so much this sport does not become like deer hunting and deer management..

ground control

"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

jakesdad

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 03:47:56 PM
I hope so much this sport does not become like deer hunting and deer management..

I couldnt agree with you more!!One of the main reasons I stopped liking to deer hunt as much as I used too.Too many wannabe pro staffers tryin to tell me what I should do.I wont argue with good sound educated management as the Arkansas and other states no jakes policy may be,but lets not turn this into the monster @#$%up deer hunting as become.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

cuttinAR

Our game and fish is not forcing this upon us.  They actually conducted surveys of all the hunters here in AR to judge opposition to the proposed no jake rule.  It showed most were in favor and that is a product of how bad our turkey population currently is.  We are trying to increase the gobbler carryover by pushing back the season opener and now eliminating the jake harvest. 

I agree and one reason I don't deer hunt much is because of all the fuss about letting bucks age, can't shoot a small deer without getting &#*#%( at, etc.  The no-jake rule is strictly to try and rebuild our turkey population and I'm all for that!

shootumindaface

Quote from: cuttinAR on February 21, 2011, 04:09:48 PM

Our game and fish is not forcing this upon us.  They actually conducted surveys of all the hunters here in AR to judge opposition to the proposed no jake rule.  It showed most were in favor and that is a product of how bad our turkey population currently is.  We are trying to increase the gobbler carryover by pushing back the season opener and now eliminating the jake harvest. 

I agree and one reason I don't deer hunt much is because of all the fuss about letting bucks age, can't shoot a small deer without getting &#*#%( at, etc.  The no-jake rule is strictly to try and rebuild our turkey population and I'm all for that!
Not picking an argument trying to gather info.. So your population of gobblers is so low that hens are going un bred?

I cannot see how protecting males in a specie that does not form pair bonds is going to have any effect on population other than +1...

IMO the true answer would be to improve nesting habitat and curb the predator population..

Gold Spur

I'm very happy with this new rule. As Wendell stated, this is only one of many problems that we are facing in Arkansas. Hopefully, the no jake rule will be enforced for many years to come.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

BoWhoop

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 04:20:10 PM
Not picking an argument trying to gather info.. So your population of gobblers is so low that hens are going un bred?

I cannot see how protecting males in a specie that does not form pair bonds is going to have any effect on population other than +1...

IMO the true answer would be to improve nesting habitat and curb the predator population..

I agree.  Not trying to start an argument either, but this seems more like a feel good move than sound wildlife management.  But on the plus side, it sure won't hurt anything.

FttFttVroom!

I personally do not see this as a sound management technique.  Other factors such as habitat and predation are the key elements in a healthy turkey population.  Try combating the predators, increase nesting and brooding habitat, etc...before you anger the sportsman.

Here's a link to a good article.....just food for thought

http://www.nwtf.org/NAWTMP/downloads/Literature/Impacts_Predation_Wild_Turkeys.pdf

Wow, I could have just read shootums post and put an agree sign instead lol....oh well

knightrider

management practice :TooFunny: not going to help population enough to justify telling people they cant harvest whats in front of them. jmho more armchair biology