OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

Nice job walking us through the process. Thx.  :turkey2:

Shaky Jake

You guys really see a difference in your pattern after polishing?

RiverRoost

I have a 12 gauge super x3 and only put a few round through it but have read about the benefits of polishing. Can we send barrels to you for this?

Jalinkly

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Jalinkly on April 13, 2015, 10:29:41 PM
Are Remington barrels chrome?

I think the versamax is chrome , not sure  , the 1187 and 870 are not
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Greybeard11

The last of my supplies came today. I'm gonna try this as soon as I get time. I found the pads at Wally World and ordered the rest from Ebay.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

Buckmaster1546

Just got my supplies in for this and can't wait to do this!
Honestly I can't believe out of all the people I turkey hunt with that no one has polished their barrel.
I mean they've heard of it and how it helps.
Watch I bet after I do this and they see how much it helps, they'll be asking if I could polish their barrels to! Lol

Buckmaster1546

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM
To polish a barrel using this method the following items will be needed.
this has been a proven safe process that has shown great results!!
you will see a mirror finish,better patterns(in most cases ) as well as easier cleanup of your barrel !!!!!!
Green Scotch Brite
J&B Bore cleaner www.Brownells.com
J&B Bore Bright
Kroil Kreeping oil  Brownells.com OR www.kanolabs.com

A Drill
Cleaning rod (i use a Hoppes 1/4"- 3pc without the handle)
20ga brush for 12ga ---.410 or 44cal. brush for 20ga.

NOTICE NOT recommended to polish chambers,ports,or chrome lined barrels.
it is NOT Recommended to polish barrel with turkey choke installed.
use a MODIFIED OR IMPROVED CHOKE during polishing process

i have polished over gas ports and barrel ports with No ill effects. but use caution. after polishing be sure to clean all materials out of ports.

using a empty 12ga. hull and a empty 20ga. hull i drill out the primer to the size of my cleaning rod. i insert the 20ga. hull into the 12ga. hull so that brass is showing on both ends.

for 3"chamber use 3"hull for 3.5"chamber use 3.5"hull

this will act as a guide for the rod and a stop for your brush as well as protecting the chamber from being polished.

1. wrap scotch brite around brush

2. apply Kroil and J&b Bore cleaner.

3. insert into chamber push forward until you can insert shell guide fully into chamber.

4. start drill as you move rod towards muzzle.

caution--- do Not let patch spin in one place in barrel. rod must be in forward or backward motion while drill is spinning rod

i usually do 100 or more passes using J&B Bore Cleaner
then swab the barrel with Liquid bore cleaner (of your choice) then follow with a couple dry patches to clean out the barrel .

Next step would be to follow steps 1 through 4 using J&B Bore Polish and Kroil.
i usually do 100 or more passes using J&B Bore Polish as well.

add fresh Scotch Brite and J&B and Kroil as needed through out the process

after polishing is complete flush barrel with liquid bore cleaner (your choice) then clean and dry patch.

besure to clean all ports and choke threads when finished

the following pics of what comes out of a barrel during polishing. to the eye this barrel was as clean as possible. i had cleaned it with some of the best solvent on the market. then dry patched until the patch came out white.

if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
           Shawn

Man I can really tell a difference so far! Thanks for this tip.
Lol I got me and everything within 10 ft of my work bench, covered in that stuff!   :bike2:
I have one question for you though.
In your 3rd to last picture. Is that what the scotch brite should look like when you've got a finished product?
Your pi looks like the croil and the jb bore brite stayed orange . If my scotch brite has a brownish oily look to it, should I just keep going till it comes out looking orange like in your pic?
Also, should I clean my barrel at all during the process? That brown, black stuff it seems like it will be present until the liquid bore cleaner is used......
Thanks again.  :popcorn:

Gamblinman

I would be of the opinion that they would be less likely to rust since you have eliminated or reduced any small pits or cavities by polishing that would attract or hold moisture. A very light coat of light gun oil will do wonders in preventing rust while having negligible affect on the pattern.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

lmbhngr

Did my 12&20 this weekend. Biy what a difference!!

batsonbe

Spur-n-spit

I'm going to bring up a very old thread because I was reading through all 12 pages and was convinced that I should polish my 870 barrel. This gun is brand new with only two rounds (TSS hand loads) fired through it. I ordered the supplies today. I will post before and after pattern pics since I can not find any on here.

rubachub

Thanks spur n spit. I want to see some before and after pics of the patterns. I may try the deep clean and polishing after this season. Curious to see how it works for you.

Spur-n-spit

Here is before and after of the barrel. I was blown away with what came out of this thing. I followed the directions to the T. Very simple process. I will pattern tomorrow and post pics of before and after.

Spur-n-spit

Got nice weather today in TN and patterned the 870 after polishing the barrel. Here are the before and after patter pics as promised.
Gun: New 870 SM 26"bbl
Choke: Original jellyhead .665

Pellets in 10" @ 40yds before polish 228
Pellets in 10" @ 40yds after polish 267