turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

custom12

Can I use this method of polishing on a custom line cut barrel without doing any harm to my barrel.

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lock1nout

I can't import Kroil into Canada. What are my options?

Crockrj

I have a brand new Nova and it seems the barrel has a chrome lined finish. Should I try to polish it now or just sit back a few seasons then polish? I guess I can wait till I pattern and then assess my situation.

dogwood

Just did my Rem 870 20 g...awesome!! :z-guntootsmiley:

Philippe

I'd like to say that i've used Flitz bore cleaner in place of the jb bore cleaner and it works wonders. I have used the jb products on all my shotguns but got caught short and gave the Flitz a whirl and it worked great. Finished the job by using Flitz polish, bore came out with a nice smooth mirror finish.

Just figued i'd mention this if anyone was curious if Flitz would work using this method for cleaning and polishing bores.

Old Gobbler

********* Disclaimer ***** I am 100% armchair quarterback ---

Typical detonation of a shell casing will sometimes cause the hull to expand slightly , I don't know anything about shotgun autoloaders and that function pertaing to that in relation to the cycle - But , I am quite familiar that some auto pistols have special tooling marks in the chamber to grab onto the brass shell to retard the cycle and facilitate a clean cycle - I know that the Seecamp .380 is designed  in this manner -- personally I would not mess with the chamber , for I see no advantage in doing so 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Tommythreetoes

Does anybody have before/after patterning pics or numbers.  Thinking of giving it a go.  Is there anyway to do an 870 barrel harm?  Seems pretty straight forward, but definitely don't want to screw it up.

gophert

Quote from: Tommythreetoes on March 26, 2013, 08:38:22 PM
Does anybody have before/after patterning pics or numbers.  Thinking of giving it a go.  Is there anyway to do an 870 barrel harm?  Seems pretty straight forward, but definitely don't want to screw it up.

The average increase in pellet count is around 10%. You are not going to damage your barrel as long as you follow the instructions.  I think it is best to use the products in the OP and not deviate because they are made especially for shotgun barrels.  I have done every 870 I own (3) and they have all improved. 

mr meat

there was talk of cleaning the barrel with denatured alcohol! is denatured [rubbing alcohol] or is there another name for it and do you just run a patch with it on or soak the scotch brite and polish

gophert

Quote from: mr meat on March 29, 2013, 09:31:28 AM
there was talk of cleaning the barrel with denatured alcohol! is denatured [rubbing alcohol] or is there another name for it and do you just run a patch with it on or soak the scotch brite and polish

I would use the method shown in the original post to polish your barrel.  The rubbing alcohol really just does a final cleaning, but leaves the bore completely dry with no oil residue.  Some guns shoot really well with a super clean barrel and that is what the alcohol will provide, but it will not help with polishing your barrel and should not be used during that process.  I would not advise deviating from the supplies used in the OP.  Kroil and JB products made just for gun barrels. 

VAHUNTER

Quote from: lock1nout on February 28, 2013, 08:42:59 PM
I can't import Kroil into Canada. What are my options?
in a pinch i have use WD-40. i do not like it as much as kroil. but it will work.
Good things come to those who wait

mikejd

Can I use the brown scotch brite pads instead of the green. I have a bunch laying around. If its not going to be as good I will get the green.

klemsontigers7

I didn't realized I had a chrome lined bore, so the stuff that I bought is no good to me.  I have everything you need (except for a brush) if someone wants to purchase it all at once from me.  We'll come up with a fair price, otherwise I'm out $50 in supplies.

Gawhitaker

Appreciate the time you took to explain the procedure. Cleaned an 870 and 1187 last year following these steps, made a noticeable difference in patterning. It is definatly worthwhile.