OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newram05

Do all of you clamp your barrel in a vice? I don't have a vice what do you reccomend?

VAHUNTER

Quote from: Newram05 on March 28, 2012, 08:42:47 PM
Do all of you clamp your barrel in a vice? I don't have a vice what do you reccomend?
i have used a big C clamp. that worked real well.
Good things come to those who wait

870FaceLift

Thank you for this thread.  I followed the instructions this weekend with the products listed and was amazed with the results.  I have a new TC P/H 12 that has only been shot to pattern and sight in.  I couldnt believe the filth that came out of it.  I'm eager to see if/how the pattern has improved.
Pass it on...

NYSportsman

This is AWESOME!!! I will be trying this next week on my 835!! I have been using JB products on rifles lately and it works great! I can't wait to see the results of this project!!!

dvdegeorge

Just did my 835 and SP 10 Thanks for the great directions and pictures...I even had the exact Hitachi drill from the picture

VAHUNTER

Quote from: dvdegeorge on April 24, 2012, 08:21:57 PM
Just did my 835 and SP 10 Thanks for the great directions and pictures...I even had the exact Hitachi drill from the picture
thats great!! polishing is really a simple process but it shows fantastic results!!
anyone that wants to get the very best out of there setup should polish the barrel :icon_thumright:

The_Hunter323

I was looking to do this but was wondering what the hulls were used for... wouldn't you have to put the patch through the chamber anyways?

Thanks

Temp430

The 40 yard patterns from my son's 20 ga. Mossberg 500 Super Bantam have been less than ideal.   The shotgun's bore has been "deep cleaned" numerous times but still the bore's finish did not appear that bright.  After polishing the bore using the procedure outlined at the top of this thread I was amazed at the difference.  The 500's bore now has a mirror finish like my Benelli's chrome lined bore.

Please note that I modified the procedure by using a worn 20 ga. bronze brush and cotton patch instead of a .44 or .410 brush and Scotch pad.  I noticed in the past that some Scotch type pads can be very aggressive.   Now I just need to get out and pattern the shotgun.....
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

-Horace, 23 BC

WALKER80

I polished mine and it turned out great but all the black stuff you are seeing is mostly a byproduct of the JB paste.  You get the same black residue when lapping a clean rifle barrel with JB even one that is very clean.

Mattyd

Few questions...
1) when you say you do about 100 passes...does one pass mean down and back?
2) how many times do you change out your scotchbrite pad as you are doing this?
Thanks.

gophert

Quote from: Mattyd on June 30, 2012, 08:18:31 AM
Few questions...
Thanks.

On the 3 barrels I polished I counted down and back as 2.  I changed my scotchbrite after 50.  I did 150 with JB cleaner and 150 with the JB polish.  All came out mirrored.  Good Luck!

VAHUNTER

Quote from: The_Hunter323 on May 03, 2012, 10:34:44 AM
I was looking to do this but was wondering what the hulls were used for... wouldn't you have to put the patch through the chamber anyways?

Thanks
the hulls work as a stop as well as a guide for the rod so it will not bang around inside of the chamber. it also protects the chamber from being polished.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: Mattyd on June 30, 2012, 08:18:31 AM
Few questions...
Thanks.
there is no wrong answer. i count down and back as one pass.
i change the scotch brite when i feel a decrease in friction.

M R Ducks

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 07, 2011, 11:17:19 AM
Quote from: schief on February 07, 2011, 09:58:58 AM
wondering why it's not recommended to polish chamber. i like idea of using the shell.
if you polish a chamber you are taking the chance of making it to slick for the shell. causing it not to hold when you fire the gun.

What???  I don't get this at all.  In my gun, the bolt doesn't even release until the shot is out of the barrel, then the extractor pulls it out of the chamber by the rim. I like the thought of making it as easy as possible for the shell to be extracted???  What am I not understanding?  I have used a similar polishing method for years on all my semi-auto shotguns, but never prevented the chamber from getting brushed, and never had any issues.   

Can you please explain the potential problem (as I run downstairs and drill out some hulls).   :thanks:

Ducks

Full_Fan

Took a few hours this morning and did 4 Remington barrels.  Afterwards I had enough scotch bite pads and crud filled patches to fill a Walmart bag!  Interesting to see the differences between barrels... some needed a lot more work than others.  Great directions and the mirror-like finish is amazing!