OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Suggestions for 870 Express choke/shell combo

Started by Tom.Tommerson, February 17, 2012, 07:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom.Tommerson

I am shooting a Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrel.  it will only take a 3" shell.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what choke and shell type combinations i should use?  currently i am using a truglo choke .655 and winchester supreme #5 and it shoots pretty good but always looking for improvement.  Any suggestions??  Thanks!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom.Tommerson on February 17, 2012, 07:31:02 AM
I am shooting a Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrel.  it will only take a 3" shell.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what choke and shell type combinations i should use?  currently i am using a truglo choke .655 and winchester supreme #5 and it shoots pretty good but always looking for improvement.  Any suggestions??  Thanks!

First of all, welcome to OG. We're glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you.

You should be able to get some great patterns with your 870 with that 28" barrel. There are 2 things I'd try first. I'd "deep clean" the barrel. If you're not familiar with that procedure, you can click on the banner below, then go to the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" for the guidelines. That procedure will help more than you might ever imagine.

Secondly, if you'll switch to the #6 shot with those Winchester shells, you should see an immediate improvement in the density and evenness of your patterns. It really helps and that swarm of #6 shot has plenty of energy to cleanly kill a turkey at up to and including 40 yards.

If you're still not seeing the types of patterns that you'd like, there are some chokes that would help but I'd try those 2 things first.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

pullit

Welcome to OG
I have set several of these up for myself and friends.
I have found that for chokes, and IC or Ventilator works every well with 3" 2 oz Hevi shot in either 6 or 7 shot size.
As Allaboutshooting said DEEP CLEAN THE BARREL it will make a huge difference.

renegade19

I shoot the same gun with a Truglo TG170X which is .665.  I've had really good luck with the Winchester Supremes in 4 shot or Hevi 7's.  The Hevis are better, but the Supreme's in #4 pattern really well for me.

wisconsinteacher

Tom.Tommerson

I know i have never shot any of the Hevi loads before, have wanted to after reading many forums about them but i have always been afraid that a #7 would not be a heavy enough load to kill a turkey effectively.  i always was taught #7 and higher numbers were ment for smaller game animals like dove and quail.  I understand it would pattern better on paper due to more bbs in the caseing due to smaller size but really how effective are they?  Thanks

pullit

#7's (Hevi) will kill a turkey dead as a hammer. You will need to shoot it and see where you pattern starts to fall apart to know what your effective range is.
Don't tell all the turkey's I (as well as others) have killed with 7's that they are not dead, I would hate to see all the freezer doors bust open.... :TooFunny:

:OGturkeyhead:

Tom.Tommerson

ok i have another question now.  as you all can tell im still new to all this.....  i have heard a lot on here about deep cleaning and polishing barrels..... my question is, does this take the coating off the inside of the barrel which will make it more prone to rusting afterwards?  Thanks

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Indian Creek - Stainless Steel - Black Diamond Strike

renegade19

Quote from: Tom.Tommerson on February 17, 2012, 12:41:00 PM
I know i have never shot any of the Hevi loads before, have wanted to after reading many forums about them but i have always been afraid that a #7 would not be a heavy enough load to kill a turkey effectively.  i always was taught #7 and higher numbers were ment for smaller game animals like dove and quail.  I understand it would pattern better on paper due to more bbs in the caseing due to smaller size but really how effective are they?  Thanks

Risking getting the thread removed but I shot one at 54 paces with Hevi 7's last year.  Put the red dot middle neck of his neck.  Very dead turkey.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom.Tommerson on February 17, 2012, 02:14:01 PM
ok i have another question now.  as you all can tell im still new to all this.....  i have heard a lot on here about deep cleaning and polishing barrels..... my question is, does this take the coating off the inside of the barrel which will make it more prone to rusting afterwards?  Thanks

I recommend the "deep cleaning" process because it works to remove the "gunk" that can come in a new barrel and that builds up in a barrel that's been shot. The process as described, will not harm the bore in any way.

Good question however.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tom.Tommerson

Thank everyone for the great advice!  I cant wait to deep clean the barrel and try some of the hevi shot loads.  wish they weren't so expensive to buy however.  trying the different shot sizes in pattern test is going to cost a fortune lol

Thanks again!