turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Penatration of different pellet data?

Started by 224tth, February 16, 2012, 12:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

224tth

I have been using the federal HW loads since they first came out.  I first used #5 using old lead pellet size info :toothy12:

With that #5HW I hit a bird low at 35 yards and had TOTAL penatration of the body!  So I then switched to the #7 when they came out.  I know that they have penatration WAY past where you can hold 100 in the 10" circle! My citori shoots 190-200 at 40yards and 135 at 50yards with the #7.

So my question is I know they say 1.5" bal gel penatration is needed at any given distance.  I would like to know what density pellets give that at what distance/velocity.  It seems to me like there is a LOT of "overkill" and unnecessary cost and KICK.

In my humble opinion the problem with a shotgun is NOT individual pellet energy, BUT pattern density the majority of the time.

IN MOST CASES YOU RUN OUT OF PATTERN DENSITY WAY BEFORE YOU RUN OUT OF INDIVIDUAL PELLET ENERGY!
thanks
224tth

224tth

Anybody?  Perhaps a link to this info?

thanks
224tth

ILIKEHEVI-13

I believe you are right.  

I can also tell you that forget about what they say about 1.5" of gelatin mass.  It don't take near that to shoot thru a turkey skull or neck.