turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Carbon Arrow Striker

Started by Doublej, February 14, 2012, 11:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doublej

Anyone got any tips or directions on making a striker for a slate call out of a carbon arrow? Do you just leave it hollow? I sanded one flat were it had broke and tried to make a striker but couldn't get it to work right. Thanks!

870BkWht

Carbon usually makes for a really raspy sound.  I personally think thicker walled carbon works better, but this is just my opinion.  You can also slide an O ring up the carbon shaft and then experiment with moving it up and down to change the sound.  What did you use as a top for your striker? 

Doublej

Put a shotgun shell but added weight to it, probably was my man problem. Going to get a corn cob or something. Thank's for the o-ring idea, and they like it raspy around here so that should be good

Cut*N*Run

In my experience, arrows are on the thin side for a striker. Doesn't mean it can't be done, you just need to play around with the dimensions a bit. Try making it on the longer side. My guess is that a corn cob won't carry enough weight, but I could easily be wrong on that.

drenalinld

If you get a good counterweight for a top and have it glued solid it should work.

4nolz2

I use them alot and am doing some now,I will try to post some pics.For ME they only sound good with a small diameter (3") pot or on a metal (alum or copper) surface-too squeaky for slate.

4nolz2

the small diameter carbons work best-longer shafts are less "squeaky" but the fun is in experimentation.Most strikers run 20-30 grams but carbons are lighter and run 15-20 grams and work best for metal surfaces or small pots.

hunter22

Here are 3 I bought from a gentleman. They have a piece of corian added for the tips. They are weatherproof and have great balance.

Doublej

Made one and works great on my smaller glass pot call and my slate call. Used an easton axis arrow.. Made it pretty log and dropped steel bbs to fill up the inside and add more weight throughout. Squeezed superglue through the center to keep te bbs in place and not rattle plus the Broadhead screw insert keeps them in. Topped it with a 7mm mag casing that I superglued. Going to make a bunch more and experiment more but first one came out great.