OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite box call

Started by NWBama, February 14, 2012, 10:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWBama

Have 2 real old Original Lynch boxes. One is two sided; one single. Kinda nervous taking them this season. Any recommendations for a replacement? Also trying a slate call this year for the first time in many moons.

drenalinld

Mine old Lynch's stay in the curio cabinet even though that old wood has a rich tone.
It all depends on what you want to spend. The packaged boxes in stores are hit and miss. I wouldn't buy them unless you can run it first.

NCBigShot

Quote from: NWBama on February 14, 2012, 10:51:12 PM
Have 2 real old Original Lynch boxes. One is two sided; one single. Kinda nervous taking them this season. Any recommendations for a replacement? Also trying a slate call this year for the first time in many moons.

..Exactly how old is "real old"?.. Lynch Co. has been around a long time and even a Mississippi call can be 32 years old but still a hunter...

..My box of choice is a one-sider made by my uncle....

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

Bamarich

Used to be a Preston Pittman Sweet N Nasty... now it's a Long Spur from Knight & Hale.  Have to go through about 10 of them to find a winner though.

willy8457

I have a poplar, walnut Longbox made by Albert Paul that see's a lot of time in my vest and have killed alot of Gobbler's with it. Last year I got Butternut, Ipe by Marlin Watkin's That i Did real well In the fall But I haven't hunted with It in the spring.

neal

Jerry Zebro
Jeff McKamey
Marlin Watkins
Mike Lapp
Scott Baseshore
Steve Mann
Chad Zutter
Neil Cost (only on blue bird days)

No particular order all great box calls, basically whatever one I feel like taking out for the day.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

crenshawco

John Eddleman's East of the Slash Special

Turkey Trot

If you want a replacement for the older Lynch you could consider one of the modern Lynch calls made by the new entity.  You'd have to work to find one just right.  I notice that the new Lynch had a booth at the Perry, GA show but I did not stop by.  I bought a newer one side out of curiosity about consistency and needed to do some adjustments and listen to a friend's older call as a tuning reference.  It sounds better now than when I got it.

You also could consider a call from Jenkins.  He owned the Lynch company in MS and Thomasville, A and sold it a few years ago.  He still makes Lynch like calls.

http://www.allenjenkinsturkeycalls.com/
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

If you want a different box, there is a world of choices.  Some are more expensive than others, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a great box call. 

If you want a premium call with name recognition and the undoubted ability to sell it if you ever need to, then you may want to consider a box call from Dad's Custom Calls in Hazelhurst, GA.  Jerry White is the owner, and the box calls are $100.  He believes that his best is purpleheart over cedar, but he has an assortment.  I saw Sadler McGraw recommend a purpleheart over holly from Dad's on a Georgia turkey forum.

http://www.dadscalls.com/dads_favorite_turkey_calls.htm

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

drenalinld

NC, those singles look great. Would love to run them.

vaturkey

Billy White  Hustlin Hen !     :icon_thumright: :newmascot:
Vaturkey

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Turkey Trot on February 15, 2012, 12:26:53 PM
If you want a different box, there is a world of choices.  Some are more expensive than others, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a great box call. 

If you want a premium call with name recognition and the undoubted ability to sell it if you ever need to, then you may want to consider a box call from Dad's Custom Calls in Hazelhurst, GA.  Jerry White is the owner, and the box calls are $100.  He believes that his best is purpleheart over cedar, but he has an assortment.  I saw Sadler McGraw recommend a purpleheart over holly from Dad's on a Georgia turkey forum.

http://www.dadscalls.com/dads_favorite_turkey_calls.htm

I bought one of his at the Convention. I already had a longbox of his but wanted a cost style. I worked 20+ box calls on his table and ended up with a purpleheart over walnut. Sounds great.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck