turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

makeing turkey calls

Started by fitter, February 14, 2012, 02:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitter

wondering what is needed to make calls as a hobie some suggestions would help :thanks:

Basser69

WillowRidgeCalls

Patience and Knowledge of what your thinking of making is a big help, ask as many questions as you can think of before you even start,  will be a gig help to you. Even the kits require some knowledge of what needs to be done to them to make them play right.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

pappy

Talk about opening a can of worms.......that is a loaded question, because there are more kinds of callers then you can count on your hand and feet combined and each one would more then likely take a certain kind of machine and skill to make. I started with a bandsaw and a lathe, ended up with a hop 40'X32' full of equipment and wood stacked to the ten foot ceilings.
If you are just wanting to get started, then try your hand at a glued up box kit first to get the feel of handing the wood, learn about gluing joints and what type of glue and sanding techniques you would need to make one.
If you are wanting to start making them to sell, then get ready to invest time and money, because the cheaper you start the cheaper you make.....lathes are a great addition, pot calls, tube calls, hooters, trumpets all these and more can be turned, a drill press is a must, at least a bench model, I have two, floor models and a bench model, a belt sander is another important tool you'll need...the list can go on, but it really depends on what it is you are wanting to do....I like the statement....Knowledge of what your thinking of making.....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Bonjour

jakeman45

What kind of calls are you trying to make all of them are goiing to be different. ???
Cock it n' Rock it babeh!

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

ccleroy

Patience,sharp tools,money,sharp tools,money,sharp tools,money,sharp tools.

smurf

Just to add my 2cemts worth.  There are some call makers on here that make pots and strikers and do not use a lathe.  That said a llathe is a lot of fun and as a hobby you can't beat it.  You can pick up lathes relatively cheap.  I love my little Rikon.  A bandsaw sure is handy but you can cut wood the old fashion way.   So, it really is just determined by how deep you want to get into it or how much money you can spend. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

CallMaker

Time, patience, money, materials, tools and imagination....this list can go on and on.  Think about what you are really wanting to do and run with it.  You'll put some wood in the burn bucket!  Anybody that makes calls will attest to that I think. 
Steven

TN-Hunter

Take detailed and very accurate measurements of every call you make. I take a piece of glass cut it in half this gives me a steady place for my calipers to rest to take measurements of ped heights and scratch surface heights and bottom depth this has saved me more time than about anything i have tried. And i think you know  Time, patience, money   Good Luck this stuff is addicting

redowl

the main thing is read the post on this web site.this place is a wealth of information.i learn something new everytime im on it.all you need is a open mind.

TarheelTurk

Quote from: Tackem on February 25, 2012, 07:40:03 PM
Quote from: CallMaker on February 18, 2012, 09:17:41 PM
Time, patience, money, materials, tools and imagination....this list can go on and on.  Think about what you are really wanting to do and run with it.  You'll put some wood in the burn bucket!  Anybody that makes calls will attest to that I think. 
Got that right I have turned more firewood than useable calls But One thing is for sure I have learned more by just reading  on here so if you are really wanting to learn   Take notes and keep them in a Ledger Because Trust me  you will need them and these Guys that have posted before me are more than call makers They are Experts and have Years and Years of Firewood behind them  But one thing they don't burn and thats their willingness to help and answer your questions it will be Up to you on how you use it
X2 , jus becareful its highly addicting   !!! But i cant thank everyone that has help me get started and continues to help me enough !! Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

ferocious calls

A wife who can tolerate the tuning process will help. ;)
Just study your desired design and go for it. Be carefull with the tool use.

C_W

Quote from: WaddleWhacker on March 01, 2012, 09:05:02 AM
once i had all the tools i thought i would need and some wood i bought several types of calls and cut them open to see what to do and what not to do...call me crazy but it saved me from butchering up wood

So many things wrong with this statement.