turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Questions on using aluminum

Started by handcannon, February 14, 2012, 01:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handcannon

I'm thinking about trying my hand at using aluminum on some of my calls. Never really fooled with it before but it seems to be gaining in popularity and I've had a few people ask me about it.

Could someone explain the differences between the 3 calling surfaces I see available? Plain, powder blasted and anodized.

Structurally, do you need any slight changes in building the call such as the distance between the bottom of the aluminum and the top of the soundboard or will the standard dimensions work?

I appreciate it fellas.

WillowRidgeCalls

That depends on how your pots are cut, some need to change the design some what and some don't?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

handcannon

Thanks WillowRidgeCalls. I guess my biggest question is between the anodized and powder blasted surfaces. Which seems to be more easily played or preferred for quality sounds.

pappy

Cannon.................as far as changing the dimensions on the inside of your pots, it really wouldn't be necessary if you are using the same thicknesses in your striking materials and your soundboards. This is if you are trying to distinguish between plain, blasted or anodized aluminum, and this is the reasoning behind this statement. If you are using aluminum that is 62 thousandths thick, (same as slate) then what would be the difference in the distance between the bottom and the top? None....blasted is the same because any difference in the overall thickness would be on the top of the aluminum, none on the bottom, anodized aluminum would only gain an overall thickness of less the .002" or .004" at the most considering the amount of anodizing you do on it. So, again there would not be any major reasoning behind moving your internals.
Now as far as sound coming from your pot, this may be effected somewhat because of the type of materials used, with aluminum I leave .1260" between the bottom of the aluminum and the top of the soundboard, this gives me just enough echo and ring not effecting the kind of sound I am looking for in a pot, with aluminum I want loudness and high pitch with a fast break that would end up with enough rasp to be able to hear it as my striker stops. I hope this helps you my friend, ever hear the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it? pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

From my limited experience and what others have posted, you want to powder blasted.  I made several calls out of standard anodized aluminum, and there is very little for the striker to grab or catch.  The powder blasted solves this.  As far as conditioning either, they should be ready to use and should be cleaned with rubbing alcohol like a medical wipe.  I think GrassyCreek is where I was told to look for the powder blasted.  Best of luck.  

Chris

handcannon

Pappy, I appreciate you giving me all that input. Thanks for dropping a little more wisdom on me.

shark

I will scuff anodized aluminum with a scotchbrite pad as I would slate, it seems to help the striker grab