OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tried some of the Hornady Heavy magnum turkey loads

Started by reflexl, February 13, 2012, 08:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I have to try about everything that comes out so the Hornady was no exception. On the box it says works best with modified or improved chokes so that is what I tried first. Out of teh BPS at 35 yards I wouldn't even try a turkey. I got the 835 out with the star dot. 35 yards would be the limit. Does anyone know what gun these are intended for? The load is a 3" 11/2OZ #5. reflex264

fountain2

Its intended for the long followers of hornady rifle ammo to buy and waste their money on, a pure marketing scam. 

joey46

I just watched a recent TV show where the "expert" claimed to have used them.  1 1/2oz of number 5s is going to be pretty sparse at 40 yards through an open choke.

fountain2

That payload is more for a 20 ga.  Hornady just needed a new scheme.

remmy1187

Hornady just needs to stick with rifle and pistol.

reflexl

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on February 13, 2012, 04:00:57 PM
Maybe it's a secret ploy to frustrate newbies that miss several turkeys because the pattern won't hold up to 40 yards..... then they just give up to leave more turkeys for the rest of us that know better.

;D

Gadget

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on February 13, 2012, 04:00:57 PM
Maybe it's a secret ploy to frustrate newbies that miss several turkeys because the pattern won't hold up to 40 yards..... then they just give up to leave more turkeys for the rest of us that know better.

:TooFunny:

R AJ

That is the shell shown on the new Mossberg  catalog along with the Turkey Thug model guns . I don't know of any of the Thugs using this shell .

gobbler74

With the payload of a stout 20 ga load.."Heavy" magnum for the 12 is kinda misleading.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gobbler74

Quote from: RAJ on February 14, 2012, 11:27:18 PM
That is the shell shown on the new Mossberg  catalog along with the Turkey Thug model guns . I don't know of any of the Thugs using this shell .

:OGturkeyhead:    :TooFunny:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Bamarich

Thanks for sharing... won't waste my money there.