OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth Diaphram Help!

Started by guesswho, February 20, 2011, 08:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Roy on February 21, 2011, 12:36:56 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 20, 2011, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 20, 2011, 09:23:00 PM
It doesnt take much air at all.  In fact, most people blow to hard.  Like someone else said, I blow the air like I'm trying to fog the mirror but my belly dont move.  I dont do like the instructions on the call say.  I dont say yelp or calk or whatever it is.  Its hard for me to explain. 
x2
Ronnie, call OTH, he is the best non-"pro" caller I have heard.
I also agree, you don't need any more help killing turkeys. :lol:

So, would u guys say that pro callers are closer to sounding real than most turkey hunters?

I've heard non "pro" callers sound flat out awesome.  Even guys on this site. A competition caller of course has to sound good but they are trying to get each note to sound exactly the same as the last and we all know real turkeys dont sound like that  :icon_thumright: 

guesswho

Quote from: 3.5inchpainfulldeath on February 21, 2011, 09:03:56 AM
first things first.  What reed call are you trying to use.  If your just beginning go with a two reed call with some type of a cut in it to give you some rasp.  Second.  make sure you put the call in your mouth the right way.  Most calls have a little bump on them so you know to put the bump down toward you toungue. try to press the air between your tongue and the roof of your mouth which will vibrate the reeds on the call...

Don't let you buddies discourage you either.  Too many times i've seen guys not want to use mouth calls because they don't want to embarass themselves around their buddies.   feel free to pm
I'm trying several.  The one I use the most is a triple inverted V.    And I ain't worried about my buddies, I'm not shy.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on February 21, 2011, 11:27:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies, check is in the mail to the NWTF.  I hope their better at helping with a mouth call than they are at other services their so proud of.

All this has made it as clear as mud now.  I'm going to stand on one foot, close one eye, rub my belly and hope for the best.   

I'm pretty sure I have it in the right way, after that who knows.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

dirtnap

The best way to learn is just to keep messing around with it.  You will eventually figure it out.  I don't think somebody can give you instructions on how to do it and you pick it up immediately.  I know I just kept fooling around and finally got it.  It doesn't happen overnight either.

yellowacorns

guesswho

Some have said not to blow to loud.  Shouldn't you be at least as loud as a hen?  Some hens really crank it up.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

stilker

ya some hens really crank it out. what you need to understand is that you can yelp and cutt loud without blowing hard, once you get used to using a diaphragm.  Sometimes you will want to call loud, like when runnin and gunnin. Just takes practice bud. :icon_thumright:

Mailman

You must be doing good I aint heard you gagging on it yet. I still do once in awhile. When I first tried it I gagged all the time. Thought there was no way I could use one.
One Shot One Kill

mountman62

I don't notice my belly move, cause if i got all this belly moving while I'm hunting, i'd scare all the birds within hearin distance off with all that movement, really like one said, just like coughing up a luuggiii, from way down
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

unclerick

Try a Dan Kendall mouth call guess, they are easier to run then alot of the others, they fit good and the wetter they get the better they sound.

Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

guesswho

Quote from: stilker on February 21, 2011, 10:52:34 PM
Sometimes you will want to call loud, like when runnin and gunnin. Just takes practice bud. :icon_thumright:
I have about a month to practice.  I think I have the loud part down pretty good.  Now I just need to work on the sound quality, rythym and figure out when to be loud, and how to keep the lugies off the call.   But I still ain't figured out this whole blow from your diaphram deal.   I may be doing ot right and just don't know it.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

treestand

I've heard non "pro" callers sound flat out awesome.  Even guys on this site. A competition caller of course has to sound good but they are trying to get each note to sound exactly the same as the last and we all know real turkeys dont sound like that  :icon_thumright: 
[/quote]

I dont know if I would go there..... The best way to sound more turkey is too mimic real turkeys.  What works for one might not work for others.  Dont listen to other people call. get tree top turkeys and listen to it and try to copy them sounds!

Grasshopper

This DVD covers everything all the different styles and the sounds they create. We go step by step showing you the different sounds you can make and how to create them. I strongly suggest getting a custom hand made call. Machine made calls are easier to make but require alot of air. Once you use a hand made call you will throw the machine ones away

StruttinGobbler3

As others have said, I don't think theres any black and white instruction on how to run a mouth call, although I'd have loved to see a copy of that perfection dvd when I started years ago. I started off with mouth calls from the beginning, so thats what I use best. Like others posted just practice making non turkey sounds to begin with, and gradually try to make turkey sounds. And once you have that yelp down, you got it licked. Everything else comes naturally. Something else that seems to help me is trimming down the tape on the call so I get a better air seal. Hope some of that might help, but I doubt it. Constant practice is the key to mastering a mouth call, and advice takes a backseat. Good luck
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

jyoung

Just my .02... When I run a call for a long period of time my abs are kind of sore.  That's how I know I am using my diaphragm.  Like many people have said, it is very hard to explain in words.  A little easier showing someone, but they still have to have a little understanding of the mechanics.  I achieve my yelp with the call about middle ways back on my tongue.  When I say the word "HEE" the middle part of my tongue rises and that is my front end, it should produce a clean and clear sound.  My back end  is achieved by dropping my jaw and incorporating the work  "UP, YOP, ACK, OCK, etc..." So... my whole yelp is "HEE-YOP".  Zink actually has a really good instructional DVD on tongue placement and exercises you can do to know that you are using your diaphragm.....Clear as mud now! :bike2:
Jonathan Young