turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth Diaphram Help!

Started by guesswho, February 20, 2011, 08:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

I never "see my belly move" when I'm blowing a mouth call.  It takes very little air with the right seal of the call to make a good sound.  Try to make a solid whistle sound with the call.  This will force you to keep a good seal, or learn how to, to keep the sound going.

After you can do that drop your jaw down to make low pitch sounds like the yelp and cluck.

I pucker my lips with a little tension while calling too, not just leaving them flapping in the wind lol.

Hope this helps. Best I can do.   ;D

VAHUNTER

i'm sure you are using your calls right. if you take a deep breath then hold it in. then run your call from the air you have held it is coming from your diaphram. you can feel it way down deep. not as deep as your smell bad grunt call but deep in your chest
Good things come to those who wait

guesswho

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 20, 2011, 09:30:29 PM
Ronnie, call OTH, he is the best non-"pro" caller I have heard.
I also agree, you don't need any more help killing turkeys. :lol:
Steve and I have had this conversation many times.  We even sat at Dana's with Jeff "who is pretty dang good too" trying to help me figure it out .  I want to know how they do it and they want to know how I do it.   Neither one of us is any good at explaining stuff so I still ain't figured it out.   I guess I'll pucker my lips and blow out candles next, then insert mouth call and see what happens. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TRKYHTR

Think about what it takes to blow up a balloon or when you hock a luggie. That is coming from your diaghram.

BTW this is the funniest thread i've seen in a long time.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stilker

Sometimes you see guys run out of breath after running a series of yelps. You see the same thing when people blow up balloons. They are both done with pressurized air. You don't run out of breath blowing a candle out because it's different. I was lucky enough to win the tn state in 06, and I had a lot of folks asking for help, mostly beginners. It was amazing how fast some of them got it once they pressurized their air instead of "blowing". Once you understand the pressurized air deal, then understand that more or less tongue pressure on the reeds will change the pitch of the call, as well as how tight the reeds are stretched. It is common to develop an exceptional yelp from moving your mouth like your saying WOW or YAK, while the air moves through between your tongue and the reeds. Mold your sound until you are comfortable. The way you sound will be different than everybody else, just like hens. Get your sound and make it turkey.  Practice controlling the call, instead of it controlling you, getting you out of breath and making sounds you didn't want to make. Start with a double or triple reed, something not too thick. No need to pay $10 for a mouth call either. It's a rip off. They ain't worth that much. Clucks and purrs will come easier after you practice your yelp for a while in your truck. I stopped contest calling because I'd rather hunt em than go to a contest that a wild turkey hen couldn't even place in. Just try to copy a hen, not another person calling. There's a lot of hunters with no-so-pretty yelps that kill a pile of longbeards each year, while the "pro" is worrying about how pretty he sounds.  :icon_thumright:

Preacher

blow air like you are hollaring at your children, or a stray dog.   Just kiding I never raise my voice at my kids.   

Try to "say " different words with the call in your mouth. like :  tuc, hac, ten, cholk, kit ,cat, hamp,   hope this helps.   

I suspect you do allright with a mouth call.
Romans 8:37

Scottyb

great replies....

Blowing duck calls is about the same in regards to air pressure..

The thing that has helped me with both is learning how to position your throat with regards to how the air comes out...

I have been a comp duck caller for twelve years now, and can say that it has hopnestly helped me with my turkey calling.

For me the most realistic yelsp come form the "word whelp" it sort of helps get the high and low end of the note, and helps get a good rythm....

I am no contest calibre turkey caller by any means though, but it does work for me...

Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

3.5inchpainfulldeath

first things first.  What reed call are you trying to use.  If your just beginning go with a two reed call with some type of a cut in it to give you some rasp.  Second.  make sure you put the call in your mouth the right way.  Most calls have a little bump on them so you know to put the bump down toward you toungue. try to press the air between your tongue and the roof of your mouth which will vibrate the reeds on the call...

The easiest way to learn how to use a mouth call is (IMO) to not to try to make turkey noises right off the bat.   I get people to put in the call and make long notes until they run out of air so they can see how the call is working in their mouth.  Second I tell them to get in the car turn on some good music, put in the call and use the long notes again and try to make the call pitch go up and down with the music pitch.  Start to mess around with the call in to the music, rolling your tongue to pur, cluck, put, cut, yelp, etc. 

Some people tell you to use yelp, or other imiliar words.  I use cholk... yelp to me sounds like a bird choking on a hawker...

Don't let you buddies discourage you either.  Too many times i've seen guys not want to use mouth calls because they don't want to embarass themselves around their buddies.   feel free to pm

new2turkey

that TRKYHTR really knows how to work a mouth call  :icon_thumright:

He showed me a little on how to improve also.

shootumindaface

Quote from: Scottyb on February 21, 2011, 08:35:18 AM
great replies....

Blowing duck calls is about the same in regards to air pressure..

The thing that has helped me with both is learning how to position your throat with regards to how the air comes out...

I have been a comp duck caller for twelve years now, and can say that it has hopnestly helped me with my turkey calling.

For me the most realistic yelsp come form the "word whelp" it sort of helps get the high and low end of the note, and helps get a good rythm....

I am no contest calibre turkey caller by any means though, but it does work for me...

It is the same spot the air comes from for all the calls, duck, goose and turkey.. I too believe duck and goose calling has helped with air control on a mouth yelper..

Ronnie, dont worry about it.. You are most likely doing it right.. If you think dang, I sound like a hen you are doing it right.. I know you wouldnt take a call to the woods you didnt believe sounded like a turkey..

furtracker

I don't think there is really a way to tell someone how to use a diaphragm other than basic stuff like," how to position it in your mouth".  You just hafta practice and it comes.  I don't think any of the instruction I've ever been told really helped to get it down in the end.  Just a lot of practice. Chances are your doing it right.

GobbleNut

Dude, you just need to join the NWTF.  You will instantly become a better caller and know exactly which hole the air is supposed to come out of.  It is one of the many services they provide.....
;D     :newmascot:    ;D

stinkpickle

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 21, 2011, 10:36:19 AM
Dude, you just need to join the NWTF.  You will instantly become a better caller and know exactly which hole the air is supposed to come out of.  It is one of the many services they provide.....
;D     :newmascot:    ;D

:TooFunny:  Well played.

guesswho

Thanks for all the replies, check is in the mail to the NWTF.  I hope their better at helping with a mouth call than they are at other services their so proud of.

All this has made it as clear as mud now.  I'm going to stand on one foot, close one eye, rub my belly and hope for the best.   

I'm pretty sure I have it in the right way, after that who knows.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff