OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth Diaphram Help!

Started by guesswho, February 20, 2011, 08:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Ok, I do ok with a mouth call but I know I could be better.  I don't fully understand this blow air from your diaphram stuff.  How in the heck do you do that?  I may be doing it right but I'm not sure.  I've always just blown the call, but I don't think the air is coming from my diaphram.  I wasn't even sure I had one.  Now that I know I have one how do you get air from it?  How is that air different than any other air you blow? 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TURKEYWHACKER

Imagine you've got one of them nasty coughs that cause your ribs to ache. Air that comes from there is the air ya need to operate a mouth call. When I see my belly movin' when I call, I know I'm doin' it right.

guesswho

So my belly should be moving when I call.  Man this is going to be harder than I thought. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

boggszilla

Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2011, 08:20:57 PM
So my belly should be moving when I call.  Man this is going to be harder than I thought. 

:TooFunny:

Mailman

Kind of like when your trying to fog up a mirror
One Shot One Kill

FireDoc

Considering the amount of Tom's that have fallen to your skills, I don't think it'd be fair to the turkey species for you to get better at any more calls.  ;D  ;D :D
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

boggszilla

guesswho

Normally when my belly moves it's a accompanied by a loud noise like a dominant buck grunt, followed shortly after by a grotesque smell.   My diaphram must be no where near where I thought it was.   And I haven't fogged up any mirrors since High School!  Man ya'll ain't much help.  I guess I should have started this back about August.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Shotgun

Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2011, 08:20:57 PM

Heck I must be doing something wrong to.  I just ran my call and didn't notice my belly moving  ???

Hognutz

My belly doesn't move. Get a good seal, and force air through it. It does not take a bunch of air to make a diaphragm call work. In fact, it is just the opposite. Start by putting your tongue, (about an inch back from the tip) on the back of the call. This will hold it in place. Blow softly until you get a noise. After you succeed on a noise, try getting a turkey noise. The front half of a yelp, maybe. When you get that note, then you drop your jaw down for the rest of the yelp.. Practice is the key. Clucks and putts will be easy, once you master the yelp. It is a piece of cake, once you get the hang of it. You don't blow a mouth call like you're blowing out candles on a cake. Nice and easy. It will come to you. Good luck, Guesswho..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2011, 08:53:56 PM
Normally when my belly moves it's a accompanied by a loud noise like a dominant buck grunt, followed shortly after by a grotesque smell.   My diaphram must be no where near where I thought it was.   And I haven't fogged up any mirrors since High School!  Man ya'll ain't much help.  I guess I should have started this back about August.

Your blowing the air out the wrong hole

Flydown

Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2011, 08:07:09 PM
Ok, I do ok with a mouth call but I know I could be better.  I don't fully understand this blow air from your diaphram stuff.  How in the heck do you do that?  I may be doing it right but I'm not sure.  I've always just blown the call, but I don't think the air is coming from my diaphram.  I wasn't even sure I had one.  Now that I know I have one how do you get air from it?  How is that air different than any other air you blow? 
:help: :help:

turkey_slayer

It doesnt take much air at all.  In fact, most people blow to hard.  Like someone else said, I blow the air like I'm trying to fog the mirror but my belly dont move.  I dont do like the instructions on the call say.  I dont say yelp or calk or whatever it is.  Its hard for me to explain.  

econo

I can see it coming now!  This spring we are going to hear all these stories about how people missed gobblers because they didn't see them coming in. Too busy watching there belly move while calling...lol :TooFunny:
May God bless you all

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 20, 2011, 09:23:00 PM
It doesnt take much air at all.  In fact, most people blow to hard.  Like someone else said, I blow the air like I'm trying to fog the mirror but my belly dont move.  I dont do like the instructions on the call say.  I dont say yelp or calk or whatever it is.  Its hard for me to explain. 
x2
Ronnie, call OTH, he is the best non-"pro" caller I have heard.
I also agree, you don't need any more help killing turkeys. :lol: