OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

HTL prices are going crazy.

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, February 09, 2012, 07:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I visited a local hunting supply store this afternoon.

Last year, Magnum Blend was @$23 for 3", and @$26 for 3.5", and they sold out.

They just got a new supply in.  $32 for 3", and $37 for 3.5".

I'm expecting the local demand to cool down a little at those prices.

On the Reloading forum, it was recently posted that 7 pounds of loose hevishot pellets will now cost you $230.  Not counting shipping, that's @$4.11 per 2 ounce shell.

The Lead forum may pick up some new members.

Gunman1013

I am new to HTL this year. Just for grins I shot some 3.5" lead #6 (Federal I think) out of my SBE2 last week. Very decent pattern. Bought 3 boxes of Mag Blend 3" for my M2.  Drop some bucks but I am not complaining. Thankful to have the privilege.

deerslayer357

Yep!

I am trying to find a load my 20 likes so that I can stock up on them!
Thankfully, I got plenty for my 12 already!

chatterbox

It's pretty wild I have to say, and it's only gonna get more expensive.

Neill_Prater

Bass Pro is still $19.99 for the 3 inch blends. I picked up another box at the Springfield store this afternoon, and probably should have bought a couple more.

reynolds243

Quote from: chatterbox on February 09, 2012, 08:14:43 PM
It's pretty wild I have to say, and it's only gonna get more expensive.

see that is were i tend to disagree to a point. At some level the price will out weight the demand for MOST hunters.

I mean really if it gets up to 40 or so a vast majority of hunters will just find alternative shells to shoot and eventually Hevi-shot will have to decide what they do in the turkey shell world. I mean at some point the cost effects demand so much the company starts to lose.

I dont know what that number is but i can assure you FOR ME i am not paying 40 for a box of 5.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI dont know what that number is but i can assure you FOR ME i am not paying 40 for a box of 5.

I'm not going to pay $30+ for a box of 5.....ever. 

$6 per shell for HTL, vs. $1.10 per shell for Win Sup HV Lead at Wal-Mart is an easy decision.  I have 30 something HTL loads in stock, so it's not like I have to switch to Lead right now, but when the HTL is gone, it's gone.

pdqt

How long do you think it is going to take to do away with PB complety?!!!!!

yukonhunter

www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com

SumToy

Thing that get me is all that they give the TV shows and then to the NWTF.  Then want all of us to pay more for ours to make up the loss from them giving it away.   

I got the new shipment in today and the box it came in was full of the little clear beads.  Shells caved in so I have gone back to testing the Winchester and the lead stuff to see how bad it can be. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

TauntoHawk

Quote from: SumToy on February 09, 2012, 10:48:21 PM
Thing that get me is all that they give the TV shows and then to the NWTF.  Then want all of us to pay more for ours to make up the loss from them giving it away.   

I got the new shipment in today and the box it came in was full of the little clear beads.  Shells caved in so I have gone back to testing the Winchester and the lead stuff to see how bad it can be. 

got mine this week, covered in buffer too. got a good price this time but I wont be paying $4-5 a shell if it stays at that price
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rempumpman

I'm hope that I don't make anyone upset in any kind of way, but why do we hunters have to have shells of this magnitude to kill a turkey? I am all for each shooting what they will and if you want to hunt with these shells that is totally your business, but there is no telling how many turkeys I have killed/ and am killing now, with 2 3/4 in remington magnum or a winchester 3 in mag shell; I am going to keep buying good magnum shells for a lot less and still kill turkeys; these companies will go flat broke if they wait on me to buy their shells at these prices;
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

goblr77

I'm still gonna hunt with HTL just not shoot at paper as much. It's not that much money considering how much the average hunter spends on atv's, leases, licenses, fuel, guns, camo,calls, etc. The price of everything is going up, not just HTL ammo.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: goblr77 on February 10, 2012, 08:50:33 AM
I'm still gonna hunt with HTL just not shoot at paper as much. It's not that much money considering how much the average hunter spends on atv's, leases, licenses, fuel, guns, camo,calls, etc. The price of everything is going up, not just HTL ammo.

That is the truth. Look at it this way - I paid $16k out the door brand new for my '04 Silverado LS Reg Cab, and when I called the other day about buying another the price was $28.5k. The only difference is the '04 is a 2 wheel drive and the new one will be a 4 WD if I buy one.

I went to my guy yesterday and bought him out on what I shoot and he had in stock. Got another case of 3-1.25-5 Win HV and a case of 3.5-2.25-6 XX Mag's. Paid $6 a box for both kinds (10 shells per box). Also got 5 boxes of 3-2-6's H-13 for about $15 per box cause I bought so much.

I wasn't going to buy anything this year, but with prices going and not knowing if/when lead will be gone I stocked up. The H13 ought to last me at least 7 years since we can only kill 5 per year her and I already had 11 shells at home. Then the XX Mags will go in the 12 if I haven't found another good deal.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It would be wise to stock up on your brands and products of choice while the prices are reasonable.

I would myself, but I've been spending my walking around money on reloading supplies for Lead loads.

I have 38 pounds of 4x5x6x7.5 mixed up and ready to play with whenever I get ready to start.  I've been getting my powder, wads, and primers together, but I wish that I had a lot more empty 3" hulls to work with.