OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What are the steps after finding wood

Started by duckbuster101, April 25, 2012, 06:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckbuster101

New to the forum and new to call making. Once i find a sutable piece of wood what do i need to do with it. Leave it in one piece or cut it into pot sized blanks?

magnoliagamecalls

That is a hard request to answer. What are you doing with it? What are your plans for the wood? If your planning on making a call you will need to cut it up at least in one piece at a time. If I had the space I would leave it whole until it adjust to my enviroment. Then I would cut it into blanks for easier storage.

duckbuster101

I plan on trying my had at turning some pots. I don't have all the tools needed yet but from what i read the wood has to dry down to about 8% moisture content and that it takes a while to get it down to this so i figured i would put it up and let it dry before i cut into it and started turning calls.

handcannon

If you have the equipment to do the sawing, cut your call blanks but cut them oversized. If your wanting a 4x4x1" blank, add an overall 1/4" to it and seal the endgrain for drying by using a wood sealer or some old paint. Put it up and let it dry. After it dries, you can come back and cut it to the desired dimensions.