OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Triple Slate Calls

Started by Turkey Trot, February 07, 2012, 11:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Trot

Does anyone here routinely build pot calls with three pieces of slate?

I played a triple slate last year in Nashville that Bobby Rison of Yellow Yelper sells.  The call is actually made by a guy in Dry Prong, LA that runs a business called Country Boy Game Calls.  I have not been inside to see how it is constructed.  The pot itself is made of a synthetic material that has a spray on coat over it. 

The call sounded really good the first time I ran it, but had bought enough already and did not get one.  I ran one again this past weekend in Perry, GA and bought one, and the the guy traveling with me liked it and bought one as well.

I am curious what it out there and whether anyone has done it with a wooden pot.  My instinct leads me to believe it would sound better in a wooden pot.   
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

drenalinld

That guy builds some awesome sounding, inexpensive calls. I ran one of his glass calls at a show the weekend before last here in AR. It sounded as good to me as any pot call I have ever ran and I have ran some of the best. I then ran the triple slate and it was just as good. My brother bought a slate. I should have bough the glass for $25, but I just couldn't buy another pot call that was not a beauty as well as sounding great. I have over 100 pot calls now. I have regretted not buying that thing every day since. I have sent him an e-mail hoping he still has that pot that was made in 08'. He claims a lot of TV hunters use his calls to call up birds and then put their sponsor call in the pics. I believe him, because they sound great. Dang it, I'm mad at myself for not buying that call. I'm an idiot. I don't know if it would sound better in wood or not. He gets great sound from the plastic.

handcannon

I happen to know one of they guys personally that is partners with him but he only builds box calls under the same company name. If you need me to, I can get in touch with him and let him know your interested in some of there calls. Holler at me if you need me to contact him.

I've never fooled with any of the pot calls but the little single sider box calls are awesome!

TRKYHTR

His name is Jimmy Nudgent. No relation to Ted. He is a great guy. My buddy Marvin sold his calls. I have several of his triple slates and glasses. Yes I do make a triple slate and a triple glass out of a wood pot. I also made a triple crystal that sounds awesome. I don't use all 3 slates though. Neither does Jimmy. I have about 10 of each left if you want one. I was selling them at the sportshow for 20.00. They really sound good.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Turkey Trot

Quote from: drenalinld on February 07, 2012, 11:54:46 AM
That guy builds some awesome sounding, inexpensive calls. I ran one of his glass calls at a show the weekend before last here in AR. It sounded as good to me as any pot call I have ever ran and I have ran some of the best. I then ran the triple slate and it was just as good. My brother bought a slate. I should have bough the glass for $25, but I just couldn't buy another pot call that was not a beauty as well as sounding great. I have over 100 pot calls now. I have regretted not buying that thing every day since. I have sent him an e-mail hoping he still has that pot that was made in 08'. He claims a lot of TV hunters use his calls to call up birds and then put their sponsor call in the pics. I believe him, because they sound great. Dang it, I'm mad at myself for not buying that call. I'm an idiot. I don't know if it would sound better in wood or not. He gets great sound from the plastic.

Was that Bobby Rison of Yellow Yelper at the show or the guy in La that makes them?
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

Quote from: handcannon on February 07, 2012, 03:24:58 PM
I happen to know one of they guys personally that is partners with him but he only builds box calls under the same company name. If you need me to, I can get in touch with him and let him know your interested in some of there calls. Holler at me if you need me to contact him.

I've never fooled with any of the pot calls but the little single sider box calls are awesome!

Are they putting the name Yellow Yelper on the box calls or Country Boy?  

I bought a little box call from YY that sounds great as well. It has a purpleheart paddle over a body that is either sassafrass or butternut. Last year I ran a great little walnut over poplar box and should have bought it but did not.  

BTW, you should tell them to build a website, they apparently do not have one.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 07, 2012, 04:20:21 PM
His name is Jimmy Nudgent. No relation to Ted. He is a great guy. My buddy Marvin sold his calls. I have several of his triple slates and glasses. Yes I do make a triple slate and a triple glass out of a wood pot. I also made a triple crystal that sounds awesome. I don't use all 3 slates though. Neither does Jimmy. I have about 10 of each left if you want one. I was selling them at the sportshow for 20.00. They really sound good.

TRKYHTR

I hit a custom slate this morning and then hit the CB triple.  Man that triple sounds good!

If your triples sound as good as his, you should be providing sound samples because they would fly at those reasonable prices.

What are you using if all three are not slate?

TRKYHTR

I've used slate, glass, wood and Corian.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

handcannon

Quote from: Turkey Trot on February 08, 2012, 10:52:27 AM
Quote from: handcannon on February 07, 2012, 03:24:58 PM

Are they putting the name Yellow Yelper on the box calls or Country Boy? 

I bought a little box call from YY that sounds great as well. It has a purpleheart paddle over a body that is either sassafrass or butternut. Last year I ran a great little walnut over poplar box and should have bought it but did not. 

BTW, you should tell them to build a website, they apparently do not have one.

As far as I know they are putting Country Boy on there. I've never met Jimmy Nugent. The guy I know that works with him is named Jimmy as well. He's the one that builds the box calls. I tried to get him hooked up with Old Hen on here a while back to get a website going but he didnt seem too interested in going to the web. I'll talk to him again when I get back home next month and see if they are ready to take the next step.

scoot12

An update on Jimmy,  he is going through chemo for some lumps under chin and arm and will be back next year making calls stronger then ever hopefully.  Scoot

Crawdad

The guy that goes by yellow yelper's name is Bobby Bridges, he lives in Rison Arkansas & I know him well. He makes the best mouth calls there is.

lonnie sneed jr.

I have made a few triples and have also ran his calls. They do sound very good because they are good. But wood pots are not always the best for all calls and types of calls. If you stick to much stuff in a wood pot sometimes it will sound flat or dead.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

mountman62

Quote from: scoot12 on April 15, 2012, 07:44:39 PM
An update on Jimmy,  he is going through chemo for some lumps under chin and arm and will be back next year making calls stronger then ever hopefully.  Scoot

Scoot12, glad to hear an update on Mr. Jimmy, he's as fine a person as you can ever meet, been to his shop a couple of times, and run some of his calls, i know this is his second round with cancer, heard about it last week, am going to try to get in touch and see how he is doing, him and his son weere in the competition calling long ago, he makes calls for lots of people that stick their name on them, pots, boxes, mouth calls, makes some comp mouth calls for some, i have a laminated trumpet and a box i got from him probably 10 years ago, he has a small shop and turns out lots of call out of it, and plus that he is a turkey KILLER
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

drenalinld

Quote from: Turkey Trot on February 08, 2012, 10:43:18 AM
Quote from: drenalinld on February 07, 2012, 11:54:46 AM

Was that Bobby Rison of Yellow Yelper at the show or the guy in La that makes them?

It was Bobby Rison.

Matt k

I know this is an old one, but does anyone have a sound file for one.. I see the company was sold and they have a web site now. Just wondering if the pots are still made the same way.