turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which deek for this situation?

Started by RiverRoost, March 12, 2017, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Had a bird gobbling Saturday morning every time it'd thunder so that helped me keep tabs on his travel after fly down. Bird walked to the edge of a food plot, hung out right on the edge for about a minute then headed off. He was by himself and the wheat that's in the plot is about shin high right now. Thinking of going with a single hen. I feel like from where he was roosted he can see out into the plot so thinking about having decoy just off the edge of the woods in the plot a few yards so can be seen from deeper in the woods as well. Thoughts?

backforty

Would probably be seen by more birds if it was farther out in the plot, Less chance of it blending in with the edge growth. Don't be afraid to put it on all tall stake so it sticks out above the grass, Hen without a jake sounds like the right call for that bird.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Marc

I might try one or two hen decoys alone and see what happens...  Make sure that the hens are faced AWAY from the direction that the bird is coming...  I would guess if you face the hen towards him, that he might hang up and strut for her out of range.

I cannot imagine that multiple hens would not be better than a single hen decoy though.

And, if that does not work, I would try a jake decoy on the following adventure.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

I used to use a single decoy when field hunting.  I killed birds.  I had hangups.  I now use two, a leading hen and a feeding hen.  I think they finish better.  Small sample size, but I feel better with 2 out.  I always put them about 20-25 yards from me, where they are visible across most of the field.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RiverRoost

Thanks for replay. I like the idea of two hens the more I read the replys.

JLH

Early season here, if I have a Jake and a hen out and a Tom sees it......he's coming!

Don't worry about being on the field edge.....they'll see it if it's in the grass.

MK M GOBL

I use a Strutter from seasons start to seasons end and is very effective! If you have a DSD Strutter and hunt him "right" = Dead Bird Walking.

MK M GOBL

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RiverRoost

Put out two hens this morning in the plot. Had two different gobblers come in and neither entered the plot or approached the Dekes and stayed too far out for a shot. Y'all think a Jake in the mix would work or no dekes period?

Bowguy

If you heard which way he was walking why not just set up better? I'm not against decoys but don't use em as a cure all. Set up great n they'll help easier. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Just my opinion

guesswho

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 15, 2017, 03:22:56 PM
Put out two hens this morning in the plot. Had two different gobblers come in and neither entered the plot or approached the Dekes and stayed too far out for a shot. Y'all think a Jake in the mix would work or no dekes period?
I'm thinking if you hadn't had any decoys out this morning you would have killed one of those gobblers.   I'm guessing they would have stepped right into the plot "to be seen" especially if you had been calling.  They got to the point where they could see the hens and then expected a reaction from them.   Once they saw the hens weren't interested in them they moved on.    If you had a Jake in the mix chances are good they would have investigated further.   But I still think your best bet would have been no decoys, just a call.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

g8rvet

Quote from: guesswho on March 15, 2017, 06:50:28 PM
I'm thinking if you hadn't had any decoys out this morning you would have killed one of those gobblers.   I'm guessing they would have stepped right into the plot "to be seen" especially if you had been calling.  They got to the point where they could see the hens and then expected a reaction from them.   Once they saw the hens weren't interested in them they moved on.    If you had a Jake in the mix chances are good they would have investigated further.   But I still think your best bet would have been no decoys, just a call.

I agree.  I think that is what messes up the birds, especially when the Toms are not totally fired up. If it is a smallish opening that the hen should easily see the Tom and he knows it, why waste time walking over to that hen that is not interested?  A big field is a little different as they will tend to come closer to be sure they hen sees and hears them.  Also, a place I hunt, the field is the gathering point many mornings.  Hens will come in from different areas and then leave together.  Tom knows that so he hangs out there and waits on them.  Depends on why he is coming to the spot.  If you can figure out how they are likely to leave the plot/field, be there and back a ways and sound like a hen that already left.  Tom will often follow.  Decoys are far from the cure all. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Seminoleturkey

I believe a half strutting jake deek would of sealed the deal in glorious fashion.i never use a hen without a jake

EZ

Quote from: Bowguy on March 15, 2017, 05:39:00 PM
If you heard which way he was walking why not just set up better? I'm not against decoys but don't use em as a cure all. Set up great n they'll help easier. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Just my opinion

Agreed. I'm not against decoys either...I just hardly ever use them. Mainly because when I get to the setup I want, I don't have the time or cover to put them out (meaning I'm close). IMHO, day in and day out, your set up is what kills turkeys. Of course, every situation is different. Good luck.