OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 #5

Started by chad fenton, February 05, 2012, 08:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chad fenton

I dont know much about these HTL loads but I saw som hevi 13 #5 I think they were 1 5/8 oz for $15 and some change for a box of 5.  I think that is cheap but not sure. I shoot a maverick with a puregold .670.  The choke is brand new .  Do yall think it will handle 5's well.  I think it will do good but just wanted some more advice.  I may buy several boxes.

bbcoach

Chad,
I shoot the PG .670 in my 835 and it loves the 7's.  Deep clean and polish the barrel and try the 7's, you won't be disappointed.  By the way, do you work at the FRC?

chad fenton

Todd1700

Chad I am far from an expert on all things related to hevi shot but here's my two cents. I see no reason to shoot any DTL shot larger than 6's. Will the individual pellets of a DTL number five retain killing energy farther than a number 6 DTL pellet. Yes. But I doubt seriously if your gun will hold a killing pattern with them out there far enough to take advantage of that fact. 6's will out pattern the 5's and usually by a wide margin. 

Old Gobbler

The pellet pattern will thin out long before the energy of the #5 wears out

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

hookedspur

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 05, 2012, 09:04:42 AM
I would not buy the shells. That load will only have 259 pellets if they are true 5s. I would spend a little more and get the 3-2-6s (414 pellets) or 3-2-7s (550 pellets). The extra pellets will fill out your pattern much better than the light charge of 5s. Having said that, they should do well from your PG .670 and will make a devastating 40 yd load, I'm guessing around 100/10". The pattern is going to get thin beyond that distance. HS 5s have a huge surplus of energy/penetration at the expense of reduced pellet counts. If I was going to try them, I would only buy one box until I had patterned them. If you are happy, then go buy some more. In today's market, that is certainly a good price.
Pay attention to this one Chad ,he knows them from the inside out.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

chad fenton

Thanks alot i will pss on them

bbcoach

Chad,
I sent you a PM.  Check out ILIKEHEVI-13's reply on the post Penetration Test for Hevi 7's.  13 has done extensive testing on the 7's and he knows his stuff.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 05, 2012, 02:52:23 PM
Quote from: hookedspur on February 05, 2012, 09:10:11 AM
Quote from: Spuriosity on February 05, 2012, 09:04:42 AM
I would not buy the shells. That load will only have 259 pellets if they are true 5s. I would spend a little more and get the 3-2-6s (414 pellets) or 3-2-7s (550 pellets). The extra pellets will fill out your pattern much better than the light charge of 5s. Having said that, they should do well from your PG .670 and will make a devastating 40 yd load, I'm guessing around 100/10". The pattern is going to get thin beyond that distance. HS 5s have a huge surplus of energy/penetration at the expense of reduced pellet counts. If I was going to try them, I would only buy one box until I had patterned them. If you are happy, then go buy some more. In today's market, that is certainly a good price.
Pay attention to this one Chad ,he knows them from the inside out.
What a nice thing to say...thank you.

I'll second that. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: bbcoach on February 05, 2012, 01:42:51 PM
Chad,
I sent you a PM.  Check out ILIKEHEVI-13's reply on the post Penetration Test for Hevi 7's.  13 has done extensive testing on the 7's and he knows his stuff.

Hey thanks for the comment.  

When I post that picture, all the naysayers can say is either it was a lucky shell, or I don't know what 45+yds looks like.

There was nothing special about the loads I bought vs what others are buying.  Granted it was a very good lot #.  But there are other good lot #'s as well.  When you can blow plum through both sides of the neck and even some shot goes all the way through the breast and out the other side, and that's not counting the shot that blew half way through the breast that I dug out by the way which was 23 shot if  I remember correctly, why on earth would a person need to shoot larger shot?    

Well I'm here to tell you that I typically will underestimate my yardage more so than I overestimate it.  

Brent

I shoot hevi 13 5's and have always had real good luck with them.   I'd rather have the bigger shot if I'm in a brushy place or sometimes you end up having to shoot a turkey in the back at 40 yards because he's seen enough and decides its time to walk off.     Hevi 5's will break one down pretty good.

WildSpur

Do you know what color the hulls are?  If they are red I would be cautious.  A few years ago I came accross the same weight in 6's.  They were horrible.  For 6's the holes in the paper seemed huge.  They had a red hull.  Not sure if they were mislabeled.  Hopefully 5's are no worse.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

pdaugherty

#5s aren't a bad choice but I would take the advice of some of the other guys and go with #6 or #7....with the kinetic energy of the 6 and 7 shot you can still smash birds at 40yds and have a fuller pattern. Just my opinion but the 7s haven't let me down yet.

surehuntsalot

I have 12ga Hevishot and Fed. HW #5's and 20ga Hevishot and Fed. HW#5's that I hunt with regularly
none of the birds that I have killed with those shells had any idea that there wasn't very many pellets in those shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase