OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 7's Simple Penetration Test

Started by Todd1700, February 04, 2012, 06:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd1700

The Hevi 13 shells out pattern anything I have shot out of my Mossberg by a wide margin. I am getting 270's inside 10 inches at 40 yards. But I have yet to shoot a turkey with them and keep having nagging doubts about penetration. So I did a simple test today. I set an aluminum can up at 40 yards and shot at it's bottom end. I know the sides of modern day cans are no test for any shell but the bottom and top are pretty thick aluminum. I was pleased to noted several things.

1. The can barely moved at the shot. An indication that the shot stripped through it pretty easily and quickly.

2. 100% of the pellets that hit the can penetrated completely through both ends.

3. Some pellets went through both ends and blasted a hole through the flip top tab as well.

4. One pellet exited even though it centered the really thick band around the top rim of the can.

Here are some pictures. Tell me what you think of this as a test medium and the results. As for me? I say these will kill turkeys at 40 yards like cyanide. My confidence is strong now.

Entrance end

Exit end

dirt road ninja

You and I are in the same boat. I have no doubt they will take a bird at 40+. I have noticed the 6's rock the target stand a lot more. I went on a quest for 300 and failed, but I still plan on using the 7's until I have a problem or run out. Like the can test, have no idea how it translates to a turkeys head, but it's got to mean something. I might do the same thing tomorrow, but with some 6 lead and see what happens.

paturkeyhntr

Thanks for the test.  Another confirmation that HS#7's will do the job.

wmd

Thanks for posting the pictures.  I too have been on the fence no matter how many success stories I have read on here.  I am hoping to get to try them out on the real thing here in about 5 weeks or so.

allaboutshooting

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

callwinner11

pdqt

I would think a old phone book or two, shot with a shell you know will kill a turkey, and the shell you are wondering about  would give you a better idea. Like you said it isn't much to the cans.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have been telling people on here that Hevi-13 #7's are the way to go.  Some listen and some don't.  And I do understand why a lot of guys shoot the 6's for even more added penetration.  But again what the 7's may lack in the penetration difference vs the 6's they will more than make up for in more added hits to the vitals.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Almost every single #7 if not all completely penetrated and went out the opposite side of the neck on this 24lb bird at 45 yds  and maybe more closer to 50yds.  Now let the naysayers or penetration experts talk their smack.    

GOLD HUNTER

Try shooting the end of a soup can and see what u get ..... :icon_thumright:

i'm going to try the end of a  soup can on my Hevi-shot & TSS handloads

Brian