OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rough 835 Barrel - Updated

Started by Tom Foolery, February 04, 2012, 03:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

The barrel on my old 835 is rough even after hours of polishing.  It looks like water spots all the way through the barrel, I guess it's just rough tool marks?  I have polished with just about everything I can except emory paper or a flex-hone.  Anyone ever flexhone an 835 barrel?  Is there anywhere you would recommend I could send it to polish these spots out?

Thanks

runngun

I have tried other methods, but have found that NOTHING works as fast as the flex hone with their oil. It has worked for me on several rough barrels. Got mine from Midway USA.

Good luck and God Bless
           Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

TrackeySauresRex

I've used fine steel wool. How is she shootin?
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

SumToy

Get the green scotch brite pad. Wood rod and drill   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tom Foolery

I have used steel wool and also green scotch-brite pads loaded with JB bore paste and also nonembedding valve grinding compound chucked in a 1/2" electric drill.  So far nothing has touched it in several hundred passes.

Tom Foolery

Well, I nearly have it knocked out now.  I went to ACE Hardware to get a new bench vice and I stumbled around the corner and saw this weird looking sand paper.  It is drywall sanding paper, nice big holes in it.  It went from 50 through I think 400 grit.  I bought a sheet of 220grit and went back home.  After mounting up the vice I put a 12 gauge brush on my cleaning rod and cut a portion of the paper.  The holes make it a perfect match for the bristles on the bore brush, for a tighter fit I put one cleaning patch on the brush then added the paper back.

I oiled up the barrel and went in from the choke end as it is the rough part, the rear is smooth.  When I got it in the choke I oiled the rear of the brush up and opened up the big drill.  

All told I made 75 passes nice and slow and the marks are just barely visible in the barrel.  I am going to go back after it tomorrow and then finish the polish up with steel wool.

For anyone that has a very rough barrel this paper is the real deal.

TrackeySauresRex

Good luck with it. I cant wait to see the patterns you get with her now  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

callwinner11

Tom Foolery

As to the earlier question of how does it shoot, this was prior to yesterday's polishing with the sanding paper.  I would have to think these numers will only go up as the barrel is much smoother to look at now even without a final polish.

Win HV 3.5" 2oz lead 6's - 130-150
Hevi13 3.5" 2.25oz #6's - 170-180
Hevi13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's - 270-280

chatterbox

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 05, 2012, 08:09:19 AM
As to the earlier question of how does it shoot, this was prior to yesterday's polishing with the sanding paper.  I would have to think these numers will only go up as the barrel is much smoother to look at now even without a final polish.

Outstanding! :icon_thumright:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 05, 2012, 08:09:19 AM

Those look like very good numbers. It will be interesting to see the numbers when you shoot it under similar conditions with your polished barrel. I look forward to your results.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tom Foolery

I made 100 more passes this morning with the drywall paper loaded on a bore brush.  I then made 100 passes with the green stotch-brite pad loaded with polishing compound.  The difference to the eye is unreal.  While the marks are not gone they are very faint, completely different than before.

Todays weather sucks for patterning, 48 degrees, North wind @ 5-10mph, 100% relative humidty.  I still may have to loose one just to see if I have ruined my barrel or not, LOL.

Tom Foolery

I could not take it so I had to fire a couple rounds.  On the best days ever I have cracked 150 just a couple of times with Win HV 3.5" 2oz #6 lead.  Today was not the best day. 

I shot the other day: 61 degrees, slight wind, 50% humidity and got 134 and 139 in the 10" at 42yds.

Today's weather:  48 degrees, 81% humidity, swirlingish wind 4-6mph.

I fired 2 rounds at 42yds with the Win HV 3.5" 2oz #6's and got 147 and 143 in the 10" at 42yds 

So in worse weather my pattern improved after this sanding/polishing adventure.  I can't wait until I get some good weather.

Tom Foolery

I counted up one of the patterns tonight, I must have threw the 147 away. 

Win 3.5" HV 2oz #6 lead

10" - 143
16" - 230
20" - 302

I am pretty pleased with the way it shot.  :)

BOFF

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 06, 2012, 08:35:57 PM
I counted up one of the patterns tonight, I must have threw the 147 away. 

Win 3.5" HV 2oz #6 lead

10" - 143
16" - 230
20" - 302

I am pretty pleased with the way it shot.  :)

By all means don't take this the wrong way, as I too, tinker with things as well. But isn't it amazing how much time we will spend, tinkering with something we love, when there really isn't anything wrong with it in the first place.

Dead is dead.  :TooFunny:

I believe you got yourself a shooter.  :icon_thumright:

God Bless,
David B.