OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ceramic pot call question?

Started by doepee, February 20, 2011, 09:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doepee

Do the ceramic pots have a good break in them like slate pots ect.. I have a ceramic pot but it doesnt seem that the high low is there ... theres alot of rasp all the way through the yelp... but it just doesnt sound that good TO ME!!

letinmfly

The two I have sound fine and I guess a lot has to do with the callmaker.  If you're not happy with the sound of yours let the callmaker know!
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

misfire

The one thing I have noticed about ceramic is that you really need to wear that surface down to get a good sounding break out of it. I have made several over the past few months, wasnt all that impressed. BUt then I played one that stumpy made that he had literally wore the layers down on it and it sounded really good. So now I am going to do the same to the ones that make as well. It really made a difference
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

doepee

wear the layers down do you mean a good conditioning ? and with what?

misfire

Quote from: doepee on February 21, 2011, 04:39:54 PM
wear the layers down do you mean a good conditioning ? and with what?

Yes, wear it down. With what,? I have no freakin clue YET!!! But I am working on it. Right now I am just running the heck out of the call with a hard striker, but there has to be a quicker way and I will figure it out shortly

www.misfiregamecalls.net

doepee

misfire--let me know what you use.... sandpaper, stone, emerycloth?  Is it possible to ruin the call ?

misfire

Quote from: doepee on February 21, 2011, 05:19:32 PM
misfire--let me know what you use.... sandpaper, stone, emerycloth?  Is it possible to ruin the call ?

I am sure you can ruin the call if you remove too much of the surface area. I will post up my results as soon as I figure out what to do. Like I said before, right now I am using a very dense wood striker and just running the heck out of it, but that is very time consuming and I know there has to be a shortcut to it.Just have to figure that part out

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Longbeardfever4ever

I have made two ceramic calls. Both over glass. One in wenge and one in gabon ebony/tiger maple and both scream. I stuck the ceramic in and it played. Awesome rollover. I didn't have to wear it down or anything I just played it. Message me if you want to hear what i mean over the phone.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

letinmfly

I just keep mine coniditioned with 400 grit sandpaper or sanding stone.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Gobblerstopper

The composition and process of making the ceramic doesn't create "layers".  I'm not sure how to break on in, but running a striker over it is not going to do much unless you mark the area and recommend it only to be ran in that area.  Even then you are not wearing anything down.  A belt sander would be a lot more efficient if that is what you are looking for though.