turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are we the only ones?

Started by bowhunter2k9, February 02, 2012, 11:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter2k9

Does anyone else who shoots Hevi13 or a heavy load have a lead load as your first shot?  I am gonna start this year loading a Winchester supreme HV as my first shot and hevi13 as my second 2 shots. I think if he's not within 40 yds, it'll take him at least 2 secs too long to react to me pumping my hevi13 load in... my HV's pattern awesome out to 40 yds, hevi out to 60yds.... comments?
Romans 8:38-39

stinkpickle

;D  LOL!  I've done that before.  I would keep a lead #7.5 in the chamber, and an XRHD round as a backup.  If it looks like he's not going to cross the 40 yard mark, I would shuck the lead shell and send the HTL on its way.  I never had to do that, though.   :)

wmahunter

First question I have is why?  Cost?  How many shells are you really gonna shoot at turkeys this year and why wouldn't you want your best shell in the gun for the first shot?

stinkpickle

Quote from: wmahunter on February 02, 2012, 12:02:31 PM
First question I have is why?  Cost?  How many shells are you really gonna shoot at turkeys this year and why wouldn't you want your best shell in the gun for the first shot?

Sometimes, the best shell at 40 yards and the best shell at 20 yards aren't the same shell.   ;)

jtg88

I always load my gun with Hevi 3.5-2.25-7s when I leave the truck but if I set up somewhere that I can only see about 40 yards or less I'll slip a Winchester XX 3-2-6 in the chamber but I probably wouldn't try to shuck a different shell in there with the turkey in sight.  The cost difference for 1 shell just isn't that great.

wmahunter

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 02, 2012, 12:10:32 PM

Sometimes, the best shell at 40 yards and the best shell at 20 yards aren't the same shell.   ;)

I'd rather take the time and aim better with my tight shooting shell at a close range turkey than try to get away with shucking a shell at a 40 yd bird or worse yet, shooting at him with the wrong shell and not getting a clean kill.  How many of you have never shot at a "30yd" bird that later turned out to be 40?

stinkpickle

Quote from: wmahunter on February 02, 2012, 12:21:30 PM

I'd rather take the time and aim better with my tight shooting shell at a close range turkey than try to get away with shucking a shell at a 40 yd bird or worse yet, shooting at him with the wrong shell and not getting a clean kill.  How many of you have never shot at a "30yd" bird that later turned out to be 40?

Where's your sense of adventure?   :D

wmahunter

I have one I promise.  I slipped up on a huge bedded huge mule deer once and shot him with an empty gun (click) and them again after I loaded it. :newmascot:

Spurcollecta

Do what you like but IMO, it's a bad idea. Don't forget to report back and let us know how it goes!

bowhunter2k9

Well this reason^^ My HV are way better at 30yds than my H13, which is like a softball....
But main reason is the 29.99 for 5 H13's compared to 9.99 for 10 HV's
Romans 8:38-39

Deputy 14

To each his own, but the season is short and tags are few. I'm prob not gonna take that chance.

bawana

Quote from: Deputy 14 on February 02, 2012, 02:56:22 PM
To each his own, but the season is short and tags are few. I'm prob not gonna take that chance.

:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:

westtennhunter

Quote from: bawana on February 02, 2012, 03:10:11 PM
Quote from: Deputy 14 on February 02, 2012, 02:56:22 PM

:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:

Yep.

wmahunter

Quote from: bowhunter2k9 on February 02, 2012, 02:55:58 PM

But main reason is the 29.99 for 5 H13's compared to 9.99 for 10 HV's

Are you serious?  The cost of the shell is the absolutely smallest part of my turkey hunt and probably yours too so I don't care if the shells cost $50 each, I'm still not going to skimp of them because of cost. 

Unless you walk to where you are hunting your gas is a much higher expense than even the most expensive shells out there. 

I'm probably gonna shoot less than 10 turkey shells this year anyway including patterning.

reynolds243

i honestly dont see the point, if you are going to shell out the money for the HV shot (which i shoot) why not put them to use. I could almost see you saying a LEAD as a back up because most 2nd shots are a hail marry anyways.

i understand your 40 shell may not be your 20 shell but just aim better and a tad lower and problem solved.