OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Heavy shot magnum blends vs straight 7's ?

Started by Basin_hunter, February 01, 2012, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basin_hunter

I shoot an 870 express 12 gauge with a tight wad .660 choke. I used heavy shot magnum blends last year and they worked well for me. I was considering on trying the straight 7's rounds this year. Has anybody patterned both of these rounds through a Remington / tight wad ? Which round did you prefer ?

Thanks,

Cody
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

SKFOOTER

They are the cat's meow with the Jellyhead .660, so the Tightwad .660 may be the ticket also. :wave:

Basin_hunter

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 01, 2012, 01:15:41 PM
They are the cat's meow with the Jellyhead .660, so the Tightwad .660 may be the ticket also. :wave:

The # 7's ?

Wycliff

I'll be trying some 3" #7 in my 1187 with a tightwad this weekend if the weather permits.

jtharpe

Basin_hunter

How are the straight 7's in terms of knock down power ?

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Basin_hunter on February 01, 2012, 01:23:56 PM
Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 01, 2012, 01:15:41 PM

The # 7's ?
Yes, the #7's.

dirt road ninja

I shot both the magblends and 7's two weeks ago. My target showed the 7's carried the magblends. If you want more pellets shoot the 7's. If you want larger pellets shoot straight 6's. I just didn't see enough of the larger pellets in my targets to think they make a difference in magblends. I also ran a few thru my 20 gauge and it hated the magblends. Im going to shoot the straight 7's this year in both 12 and 20 gauge.

As far as knock down power. Their good out to further then you should shoot.

Basin_hunter

WyoHunter

I've killed gobblers with both but I prefer 7's.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

JohnnieB

The #7 3 inch shells are devastating. The only shell I have used so far that are true bang flop rounds.

TauntoHawk

are the speeds for the Hevi-13 6's 1200fps??

Last year I patterned Mag blends and straight 7's out of my 3" 870 express, 21" barrel, and jellyhead .665

they both knocked the socks off of any lead load so I was happy with either. the 7's gave better numbers but for me the blends were more even.

I shot birds with both at roughly the same distance: 29 & 33 yds and again was happy with both.. I think im going to go with the 6's this year and mag blends with be the back up
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JohnnieB

Very interesting numbers. Thank you for the info.

TauntoHawk

what the take on the comparision between #6's and Mag blends

they seem to get similar 10" numbers

the blends have some 5's and 7's to go along with the 6's but at a high velocity (why is that? same 2oz of shot)

does one do better in the energy/penetration than  the other
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>