turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

moisture meter suggestions

Started by bcc2011, February 01, 2012, 12:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcc2011

Hey guys I am just trying to get some info on a good but cheap moisture meter out there. I was thinking of trying the one from ryobi that just came out but havent seen any reviews on it yet. I was curious to see what you guys are using and what brands to stay away from.
Brother Custom Calls

Basser69

Quote from: Gitzit69 on February 01, 2012, 12:48:20 AM
I've been using this brand for about 3yrs. I only paid 40 bucks for mine. This appears to be the new version.
http://www.generaltools.com/MMD4E--PIN-TYPE-LCD-MOISTURE-METER_p_636.html

Same on that I bought. I paid 30 for it at lowes

Trophy_Taker

Same one I have and yep I bought it at lowes.  Works well and seems to be pretty accurate.

Matt...

bcc2011

I looked at that one and was going to buy it but when i seen about 4 meters had been opened and returned i got hesitant. Maybe I should just chuck out the cash and try it out.
Brother Custom Calls

Basser69

Are you sure those were not from turners trying them in the store? No issues with mine

bcc2011

Im not sure but  I was debating between that meter and the new ryobi pinless one from homedepot. I guess i just need to try one out and see what i think
Brother Custom Calls

Gobblerstopper

I broke down and bought the one from Lowe's the other night ($29.99). More out of curiosity than anything.

I should have done it years ago!  I'm finding different moisture levels pretty interesting. Two pieces of maple cut at the same time (7 years ago, 5/4"), but stored different places read 8.4% and 14.1%. I have a couple boards on the way that I want to try it on and also some beaver chewed up dogwood that I'm wanting to check out when I get time this week.

Basser69

I checked some dogwood I got from a dead tree and had readings from 14.1-42% from the same tree.