OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

.670Pure Gold vs .670 Kicks for 870- going more to more open choke-665 too tight

Started by TheSportsman, February 19, 2011, 11:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I shot the  IC and its just a lil too tight for my liking... Most of my shots are 35 and closer. If I order a Pure Gold 670 or a Kicks 670 for my 870, wil I notice the pattern open up more? Will i notice a lot of diff between the tightness from that IC 665 to a 670 choke:  Or should i go to a .675 or even a .680?  I see Kicks a nd PG has a 670 choke for a 870.  Which one?  Should i even go more open? Opinions?

knightrider

ILIKEHEVI-13

There is no definate answers to the world of choke tubes.  The only way you will get your answers is to try each of them and more times than not that isn't feasible for most guys.  Sometimes going to a more open choke will actually improve your patterns and make them even tighter with better overall 10" and 20" numbers.  Then sometimes going to a more tighter constriction will yield tighter patterns.  I myself like to get the best numbers I can in a 10" and 20" circles and set up on a bird where I can see and shoot him at 30-40yds so I don't have to worry about missing him with a baseball size pattern at 15-20yds. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have a .665 Indian Creek, and a .665 Gobblin' Thunder.
In my 870, the Kick's choke throws a more open pattern.  Either of these with Lead is golden at 35 Yards.

redleg06

My experience has been that Pure Gold tends to give some of the most even and consistent patterns of any choke.

In the two guns Ive compared the IC to the PG the PG does have a little more open pattern than the IC.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have thought about having a Plan A, and a Plan B.

Plan A = A .690 XFull Choke and Hevi 13 in the 870 when I enter the woods.  "Ideal" patterns for 35 Yards and in.
Plan B = A .665 Indian Creek BDS Choke in my hunting pack which I can quickly install for setups in spots that offer the opportunity for really long shots.

S.C.C

Quote from: redleg06 on February 20, 2011, 12:08:19 AM
My experience has been that Pure Gold tends to give some of the most even and consistent patterns of any choke.

:agreed:    :icon_thumright:

SumToy

We have found that 673 to 680 will give you a good even kill pattern.   They will kill out to 40 with lead. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

bird

Call Bill Davis at Pure Gold and tell him what you would like to achieve and I'll bet ya that he will set you right up.  I would definately look at a Pure Gold .670.  You may even want to go more open than a .670 at 35 yards and less as a PG .670 is still going to be a tight pattern at that distance and less.  I would ask Bill Davis about a .675 or .680 choke for your desired hunting distance.

Good Luck ~ Hunt Safe ~ Take Lots of Pictures.

PS..... Lets us know what you come up with.  I for one would be very interested in your end results.

bird

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TheSportsman

Thank you very very much guys for the opinions.  Gonna give Pure gold a call monday morning. i will let yall know. thanks again