turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HEVI DUCK VS TURKEY

Started by agturkey, January 28, 2012, 01:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

Is there any difference in the Hevi Shot Duck vs the Hevi Shot Turkey shells in 20 ga?

thundrchikin

I believe the Duck are few feet faster and the Turkey have buffering.

dawei

Quote from: agturkey on January 28, 2012, 01:25:47 PMIs there any difference in the Hevi Shot Duck vs the Hevi Shot Turkey shells in 20 ga?
The Duck loads are 12g/cc while the Turkey loads are 13g/cc; hence the term Hevi13™.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

01Foreman400

I'm interested in this as well.  The Duck loads are 1,250 fps while the turkey loads are 1,090 fps.  Plus the duck loads are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

remmy1187

There is some rumor that it is 9.4-9.8gr  as opposed to the turkey loads being 12 gr.  I have never handled it or weighed it so I cannot confirm that and I read where hevi shot duck is basically  the same density as classic doubles but I cannot confirm that either.

It must be true though cause it was on the internet!   Bon Jour   :TooFunny:

01Foreman400

The guy at Hevi-Shot said that it was 12 cc/g.  He said the turkey shot is slower to hold the pattern together better.

Philippe

I literally called them this week on this very topic, to no surprise nobody has called me back. I have been told that it is all 12g/cc. I looked at them both side by side, they look the same, and seem to weigh nearly the same. I wouldnt doubt that they are identical shells just reboxed. However when I compared the hevi-13 to the hevi-duck, apparently the hevi-duck's have 7.5's and have a higher fps. I have also seen the rumor that the hevi-duck's shot being 9.5-9.6g/cc, that would make them less dense than lead.

I'm willing to bet they are nearly identical shells.

01Foreman400

Quote from: Philippe on March 28, 2013, 09:15:57 PMI'm willing to bet they are nearly identical shells.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

njdevilsb

I tried them a couple of years ago and they shot horrible for a turkey pattern.

R AJ

Quote from: dawei on January 28, 2012, 04:47:41 PM
Quote from: agturkey on January 28, 2012, 01:25:47 PMIs there any difference in the Hevi Shot Duck vs the Hevi Shot Turkey shells in 20 ga?
The Duck loads are 12g/cc while the Turkey loads are 13g/cc; hence the term Hevi13™.

Not so any more David. There are NO H-13 being made right now, hence the False Brand, Hevi-13.
Correction, the brand is real they just aren't 13 g/cc.
I guess a 2 Ton jack doesn't have to weigh 2 tons either. :funnyturkey: :OGturkeyhead:

ahfox16

Quote from: njdevilsb on March 28, 2013, 11:22:25 PM
I tried them a couple of years ago and they shot horrible for a turkey pattern.

What he said.  I tried them with a Remington 870 when I couldn't find Hevi-13 in size 6 a few years ago and they weren't awful.  They were god awful.  It was like I was shooting an improved cylinder at 40 yards.  I think the .570 I was using was way overchoking them.  There's a reason they aren't labeled as being turkey loads.

R AJ

I tried the HD in 3" 7.5s years ago and they shot well enough that they are in my backup box.