OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box call pitch

Started by Jay, February 19, 2011, 07:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Made an interesting observation today. Did a little scouting, than swung over to visit wild Turkeys that DNR has in screened pens outside. Normally take a pot to get them riled with, but today took my Dale Rohm box. Did some yelping, and immediately got one of the Hens yelping back with the big old Gobbler throwing in his contribution to the discussion. My Rohm always has been a down right killer for me over anything else. As the Hen and me are going at it yelping back and forth, I realize the Rohm is exactly the same pitch as the Hen. I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference. My other calls sound like a Turkey, but don't have the same pitch like my Rohm. Interesting.

Crutch

While we are on the subject, how do you get a hen upset enough to come show you who the boss is. I have done it before but not sure I knew what calling caused it. 
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Jay

Quote from: Crutch on February 19, 2011, 08:32:55 PM
While we are on the subject, how do you get a hen upset enough to come show you who the boss is. I have done it before but not sure I knew what calling caused it. 
Cut her off, if you really want to tick her off. She goes into her yelping, you cut her off and lay the sass back at her. Long and aggressive. You'll tell when you have totally ticked her off. She'll go semi crazy yelping. I had the Boss Hen bring in the whole flock behind her to kick my butt a few years back in Nebraska right out of flydown.

hookedspur

Quote from: Jay on February 19, 2011, 08:50:21 PM
Cut her off, if you really want to tick her off. She goes into her yelping, you cut her off and lay the sass back at her. Long and aggressive. You'll tell when you have totally ticked her off. She'll go semi crazy yelping. I had the Boss Hen bring in the whole flock behind her to kick my butt a few years back in Nebraska right out of flydown.
:agreed:Yes cut her of and run her out of air ,I give her back what shes giving me .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Spring Creek Calls

I also hunt with a Dale Rohm box call, and it does reproduce the sound of a hen. Since I laid my hands on it, I have not carried another box into the woods. I have the 2001 sponsor call from NWTF, walnut half moon. I now have 2 more in the safe for backups that I got off ebay. They all have killer sound, pun intended. This call has inspired me to make box calls in the half moon style. Check out mine in sold section of classifieds "WALNUT HALF MOON BOX". I'm working on more in assorted wood combo's.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Jay

Quote from: Gobblez on February 20, 2011, 03:56:45 PM
I also hunt with a Dale Rohm box call, and it does reproduce the sound of a hen. Since I laid my hands on it, I have not carried another box into the woods. I have the 2001 sponsor call from NWTF, walnut half moon. I now have 2 more in the safe for backups that I got off ebay. They all have killer sound, pun intended. This call has inspired me to make box calls in the half moon style. Check out mine in sold section of classifieds "WALNUT HALF MOON BOX". I'm working on more in assorted wood combo's.
Man, you copied my call down to every aspect. It's a twin. On the top mine has L-R  woodburned, a Strutter, 2 Hens, Mountains, and fir trees with Dale Rohm on the handle. Mine has been autographed on the bottom by Dale Rohm. Would like to get an idea when it was made. I'm leaning towards the 80's, but not sure. Don't know when he made that model. Would love to get another just like it.

Spring Creek Calls

How about putting up a picture of your call. I'll bet someone on this forum will know when it was made, or has one just like it.

Jay

Quote from: Gobblez on February 20, 2011, 06:13:06 PM
How about putting up a picture of your call. I'll bet someone on this forum will know when it was made, or has one just like it.
Talked to one of the Rohms, and it was made in the 90's, but they quit making the 1/2 moon  call a well back. Only way they could match pitch is for me to send the call to them. I'm sure not doing that before the season.

Spring Creek Calls

I'M FINISHING AN ALL WALNUT JUST LIKE THE PIC YOU LOOKED AT AND A WALNUT/MAPLE THIS WEEKEND. IF YA WANT TO HEAR THEM, PM ME.

Amishboy

Quote from: Jay on February 19, 2011, 08:50:21 PM
;)